Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Rock Island Armory 1911?

Any one out there own one of these? I am looking for some feedback on this firearm. I am in the market for a 1911 and am just looking for one for some target work and just want to have another 1911 again. I am on an extremely tight budget and the price is good. I have read a few reviews of this firearm and they have been generally good. Looking for a PAFOA member review also.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Rock Island Armory 1911?

I have 2, my first was a standard GI model that I just finished adding a few upgrades to it. You can see it here http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...-few-toys.html

My 2nd was a RIA TActical model. Both shoot very well. If you want to get started with 45 ACP's then they will get you there without spending a lot of money.

Your local gun shop can get them from several different wholesalers.

You can also go to M1911.org and go to the Rock Island section for more info.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with one of these as an entry level 45.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

We have 2 of the "tactical" models in this household. One has been my primary carry for over a year now. The only trouble I've had with that one was the slide locking back prematurely. The slide lock was catching the tips of the bullets in the mag as it was feeding. 20 seconds to fix with a dremel, and it has run flawless since. The other had a poorly machined guide rod which caused it to lock up tighter than hell within 30 shots. The guys out in Nevada would have fixed it for us, but I installed a cylinder and slide FLGR instead.

All in all, I'd buy another RIA in a heartbeat, but I don't mind a bit of tinkering if needed.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Any one out there own one of these? I am looking for some feedback on this firearm. I am in the market for a 1911 and am just looking for one for some target work and just want to have another 1911 again. I am on an extremely tight budget and the price is good. I have read a few reviews of this firearm and they have been generally good. Looking for a PAFOA member review also.

Ok, as far as the RIA 1911's go, these are a good buy. I own a 5" Tactical model...

The pistol is a tackdriver. I put about 150 rounds through mine with NO problems what so ever and I have to say, for a budget priced 1911, I would not hesitate to recommend these to any one. They have actually come out with a brushed nickel model as well.

RIA's are IMHO a fine pistol and there customer service is primo, should you ever need them.
    I did have a small problem with the mag it came with, but I have CM mags and those run fine in the Rock, and RIA will be replace the mag it came with once I send it out to them.

If you have any more questions or would like to check out more RIA's,
    click on this link..

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17

This is THE place to go for all of your 1911 questions. Check out the RIA section. Also, the RIA company rep is a member of the forum and usually replies to any questions or concerns through the forum or email.

I will definitely be buying another RIA in the near future (gotta get the AR first though ).

Hope this helps.

AG
    Last edited by xx AG xx; November 28th, 2008 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I have 2, my first was a standard GI model that I just finished adding a few upgrades to it. You can see it here http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...-few-toys.html

My 2nd was a RIA TActical model. Both shoot very well. If you want to get started with 45 ACP's then they will get you there without spending a lot of money.

Your local gun shop can get them from several different wholesalers.

You can also go to M1911.org and go to the Rock Island section for more info.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with one of these as an entry level 45.
    OK, thanks. I have owned 2 Colt 1911's in years past (both sold) and I was as I said looking for another 1911 replacement at a good price. I'm looking at the standard version at $389.95. I'll go check those pics now. By the way, USAF 1974 to 1978. Spent most of my time overseas (Thank God!).

Friend of mine bought a Tactical model a couple months ago. Initially, he had some FTFs with hollowpoints. After the first hundred rounds or so, though, those stopped. No jams at all since several hundred rounds later. It's a real tack driver.

I'm most impressed. At $425, it's on my short list of which gun to buy next.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Luzerne County)

I just bought my second this week. First was a run of the mill GI model that shoots like a champ. Zero problems, decent trigger, shoots everything I can feed it. New one is a 3.5" compact. Seems the fit and finish is better than the first. Trigger is a lot better. I don;t like the factory grips. It seems to be such a personal thing, no one is ever satisfied. Range report will commence after I get a set of Hogue grips and an extra mag or two (the new gun uses 'little' mags), and my shop was sold out.

I bought a 1911 because I am familiar with the platform. Simple sound design that I know how to use. After shooting the first, I can not get enough. Concealing a 5" model is tough, hopefully the 3.5" will be better.

(Chester County)

Damn good value, I'd take one over a Taurus any day.

They've been more reliable, in what I've seen. And the customer service blows away Taurus. They don't come with that weak-ass lock Taurus puts on their pistols, either.

They're good blasters...hard to beat for the money. Even at $1k...you can still get a 1911 out of the box that won't run....you can expect the same thing from RIA, and every 1911 manufacturer out there. Difference is, RIA stands up strong behind their shit...and makes them run.

At the price they go at, they can't be beat, IMO.

(Erie County)

These are excelllent 1911's, and you can't go wrong for the price. Mine shot excellent, right out of the box, without even breaking it in. This is my second one of these (Xringshooter bought my first one...I really like the upgrades on it), and I would not hesitate to purchase another (perhaps a Tactical down the road).
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Monroe County)

Do they comre in a Commander style model?

Thanks, nyman

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast