Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: New Caliber Option

The lesser calibers mentioned 308, 7mm08, 243, 6.5 creed can just about kill anything in Pa. How much recoil would you like to handle, 7mm mag and the 300 would wear ya down. The 308 winchester you can go light or heavy when it comes to bullets but you already have the 06. The 7mm08 is a super little cartridge that can get the job done. I*m not a fan of the 243 don*t know why. The 6.5 Creedmoor, I have 2, Seekins bravo and a Browning Hells Canyon speed and both are a pleasure to shoot. Deer just die when hit with the creedmoor using 124 grain Hammer Hunter bullets. I*m a 6.5 fan, I have 2 - 264 Win Mags, 2 - 6.5 PRC. I shot my last elk with the 6.5 PRC in the neck at 310 yards while he was in his bed, never moved. Give the 6.5 PRC a look while you*re at it. Good luck with your new rifle choice.

I have the Browning hells canyon speed with leupold for sale 1200. I have a Browning A-bolt 2 in 264 win mag with Meopta HTR scope for sale for 1k. I have a Browning Western hunter in 7mm mag with Meopta HTR scope for sale for 1k. I*m getting old and coming up on the end of my hunting. I have no one to leave my rifles to so I*m thinning out the gun safe.

(Berks County)

I always wanted. 7mm-08 but it's not the most common cartridge out there , I'm really leaning towards the 6.5 ...we will se what transpires .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Chester County)

Lots of good recommendations already, another thought is a straight wall caliber - .450 bushmaster, .375 legend, .44 mag. for use in areas restricted to such parameters.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    Lots of good recommendations already, another thought is a straight wall caliber - .450 bushmaster, .375 legend, .44 mag. for use in areas restricted to such parameters.
    Should have mentioned I already have a Henry Big Boy .44 mag , so I've got that covered , appreciate all the feedback !

Here's what I have in my rifle stable so far :
    30-06
    35 REM
    .30 Carbine
    6.5x52
    303 Brit
    7.7 Jap
    7.62x54r
    .44 Mag
    7.62x39
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Bucks County)

The cartridges you have are good for any medium to larger game. So how about going lighter like a 22-250 for varmints and coyotes? As a plus it would be more pleasant to shoot when you take it to the range.

(Berks County)

Why is fiddy BMG not an option? We're going to need those for the robots they send our way.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Another vote for the 6.5, about as common as it gets at the moment. I believe it*s been the most sold rifle caliber last few years with the exception of 5.56 and maybe 308 due to bulk ammo buys. It*s popular for a reason.
    Today was a good day!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    I always wanted. 7mm-08 but it's not the most common cartridge out there , I'm really leaning towards the 6.5 ...we will se what transpires .
    6.5 is way more popular, but I've never had a problem getting 7-08 ammo or components. I got invested in it before the 6.5 became the cartridge of the moment. They'll both do essentially the exact same thing.

I'd go 300 out of what you listed (I already have 7-08 though). I always wanted something to reach out with one.

(York County)

I'm looking at the 7mm PRC for myself. It's got some very interesting ballistics. I pasted a link to Hornady's info charts. Take a look and see if it's something you would like.

https://static.hornady.media/site/ho...ta/7mm-prc.pdf

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by guncollector View Post
    I'm looking at the 7mm PRC for myself. It's got some very interesting ballistics. I pasted a link to Hornady's info charts. Take a look and see if it's something you would like.

https://static.hornady.media/site/ho...ta/7mm-prc.pdf
    Impressive ballistics and it seems to be slightly faster than a factory 7mm Mag. But I would avoid any new cartridge using an uncommon / proprietary parent case. Remember the Winchester short mags and Remington short ultra mag? Neither do I and good luck finding cases to reload.

With the current shortages I would always look up the parent case and see what is involved in forming it to the new cartridge. For example the 6.5 Creedmore is very popular now and shouldn't go away. But I believe you can also form the case from a .308 with a little work.

Since the op has a 35 Remington he knows exactly what I am talking about. This is a popular cartridge that is over 100 years old but you couldn't find any in stock for years (till recently) and good luck finding the brass.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast