Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Area

(Allegheny County)

Default New to the Area

Hello All,

I just moved to Pittsburgh not to long ago and as a new resident of a free state (formerly of the peoples republik of kalifornia) I purchased my first handgun - GLOCK 38. I used GUNRUNNERS OF PA Todd Enos for the transfer. He had mentioned to me the Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmen's Club - I looked into membership but it appears I need a sponsor. I really don't "know" any members other than Todd, is there rules on how well a sponsor must know a prospective member?

I would like to join as I will soon be working close by in Monroeville.

Any advice on how to find a sponsor would be greatly appreciated.

Or since I know Todd uses this forum - would you be able to sponsor me?

Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New to the Area

pitt45GAP,

WELCOME to the forum and to PA!

I'm a PMSC member as well. (there are several of us here)

No sponsor needed as I understand it. Perhaps Roland can clarify?
    If you are interested in seeing the club first, I'd be happy to show you around.

Todd is a F'd up choice as a sponsor anyway!

Any questions, just ask here or PM me.
    Emptymag
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

I went to the PMSC with EmptyMag ^ about 3 weeks ago, shot for a few hours and picked up an application. I didn't feel comfortable asking anyone for sponsorship so I filled out the membership app, printed a photo and sent in a check.

I ended up going to Gunrunners for an FFL transfer on the same day as the monthly meetings. He and Emptymag suggested I go to the meeting and I did. They hadn't received my application yet so I filled out another, they took my photo and took my word on "the check is in the mail". I didn't have a sponsor and they didn't have a check and I was voted in and got my membership card on the spot.

I don't think sponsoring is absolutely necessary but I do go out there every weekend. You're more than welcome to join me as a guest to check the place out and grab an application (or print off of pmsconline.com) send a check for $100 with a small picture of yourself.

Let me or Emptymag know if you have any questions. We also did a PAFOA@PMSC gig two weeks ago and it was pretty awesome. You're more than welcome to join in the next one. Also, there are a few more PMSC members on here than Emptymag is letting on. I think we had 6 or 7 at our little shindig. Consider reading my "regional mailing list thread" in this section if you'd like me to contact you about PMSC visits and get-togethers.

Take care
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Beaver County)

Thumbs up Re: New to the Area

Quote Originally Posted by pitt45GAP View Post
    Hello All,

I just moved to Pittsburgh not to long ago and as a new resident of a free state (formerly of the peoples republik of kalifornia) I purchased my first handgun - GLOCK 38. I used GUNRUNNERS OF PA Todd Enos for the transfer. He had mentioned to me the Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmen's Club - I looked into membership but it appears I need a sponsor. I really don't "know" any members other than Todd, is there rules on how well a sponsor must know a prospective member?

I would like to join as I will soon be working close by in Monroeville.

Any advice on how to find a sponsor would be greatly appreciated.

Or since I know Todd uses this forum - would you be able to sponsor me?

Thanks

Welcome to the area.... Someday here soon I plan on taking emptymag/Highchilds invite to the club... Much better than kommiefornia

(Beaver County)

No sponsor required at PMSC Glad to hear from you Pitt45gap.
    Last edited by roland; March 21st, 2007 at 10:31 AM. Reason: sp

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Todd is a F'd up choice as a sponsor anyway!
    Nice......real nice.

Well, then again, you're probably right. Anyway, we gotta get these Newbies to the range for another "Guns-N-Grub-N-At".

As far as memberhip to PMSC you can show up the first Wednesday of the month at 7pm, bring $100 and join on the spot. They can give you an app & take your picture on the spot. I hope to see ya there!
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Allegheny County)

I just got a load of cardboard from the guys in the warehouse.

I can make enough torso targets to simulate an invading army for the next "Shootapalooza" we organize!

(and I can cut out raccoon sized targets for St.Marys! Would you like 'em cute 'n cuddly sized or big, rabid, trash-raider size?)

pitt45GAP,
    Please excuse me, it's rude of me to joke around on your thread - 'specially since you weren't around for the "raccoon story". Maybe St.Marys can tell it again sometime? I can't stop laughing about that one!

(Allegheny County)

Hi,
    I am new to the Pitt area, well relatively new (been here 2 years), but have been looking for a place to shoot and came across the PMSC and I am definitely interested. Just got my CCW permit, but no gun as of yet. My wife and I have been renting guns at Anthony Arms and trying out some models/calibers. We took the NRA handgun safety course as well. She will get her CCW shortly. I visited the PMSC website and it looks like a nice place and a lot of fun!!!

If my wife and I wanted to go and visit the club and watch while an event was going on, would there be any problems? Would I have to contact someone first and make an "appointment" to do this?

Thanks,
    Steve

(Allegheny County)

stevieb92,

Hey, one newbie per day please.

Kidding! Welcome to the forum!
    Everything I said to pitt45GAP applies to you and your wife. (and anyone else out there!)
    Feel free to PM me if you have any PMSC questions.

I'd be happy to show you the club if you'd like. We're starting to have a good number of pafoa/PMSC members, so even if one of us isn't able to meet you on a particular day, someone else may be able to do so.

Anthony Arms is where I taught my wife to shoot since they have so many handguns she could try. It worked out well for her. Hopefully we can get another pafoa group shoot together and you can join us! You can try all the different guns you want with no rental fees!

Gotta run! LOST coming on!
    I'll check back later.

Once again, WELCOME!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'd be happy to show you the club if you'd like. We're starting to have a good number of pafoa/PMSC members, so even if one of us isn't able to meet you on a particular day, someone else may be able to do so.
    Like he said, there are a lot of PMSC members here. I am only a few minutes away. Feel free to contct me if ya want to visit the club sometime.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast