Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: M1 Carbine Stock Repair

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    GI carbine stocks have shot up in price so check what decent IBM stocks are going for before you decide. If you are OK with paying for a replacement that would be the best option. But also look up what kind of stock. If it originally had a high wood stock the price will be much higher. You used to be a able to pick thru boxes of carbine stocks at gunshows for cheap but those days are long gone and now you are lucky to find a junker that needs a lot of work under $70.

Repro stocks are usually oversized, poorly fitting, and generally shunned by collectors. To me they just don't look right and the differences can be noticed without even picking the rifle up. As long as your stock doesn't have any cartouches you would be better off doing a complete refinish on the stock you have.

Check out the CMP forums for more info on carbine stocks and the consensus on repro stocks. Also look at their classifieds section since there are usually stocks for sale from legit sellers. Ebay is a minefield of humped stocks with fake markings (and people paying sky high prices for the fakes).
    There are a few IBM stocks on Ebay. One of the auctions ends tonight. If the current stock isn't original, how would I know if a high or low wood stock came on it? I did notice the M2 stocks that people are trying to pass off m1 stocks.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    There are a few IBM stocks on Ebay. One of the auctions ends tonight. If the current stock isn't original, how would I know if a high or low wood stock came on it? I did notice the M2 stocks that people are trying to pass off m1 stocks.
    According to Craigs Riesch's book just about all IBM stocks were high wall and only those with a serial number over 3,890,000 are low wood. Is your barrel and other major parts correct? Does it have the later Korean rear site and bayonet lug? If it does paying hundreds to put a correct stock on an "incorrect" rifle doesn't seem like a good investment (not even factoring in the fakes). Besides very few people would even know the difference or know how decode the sling cutout markings to know it was an IBM.

Does you shock have traces of a cartouche? If it does keep it.

(Lancaster County)

A good trick I used to repair a flintlock stock was taking the repair material from the stock under the buttplate, this way the wood will match in species, grain and color, the repair is almost invisible after stain and finish. You can buy a dowel plug bit (essentially a hollow drill bit) and get the repair plugs from under the buttplate, if you hog out a big enough piece, you can make the dowels with side grain showing vs end grain, then use any filler to fill in the voids under the buttplate, I'd use bondo or some sort of epoxy.

(Schuylkill County)

According to Craigs Riesch's book just about all IBM stocks were high wall and only those with a serial number over 3,890,000 are low wood. Is your barrel and other major parts correct? Does it have the later Korean rear site and bayonet lug? If it does paying hundreds to put a correct stock on an "incorrect" rifle doesn't seem like a good investment (not even factoring in the fakes). Besides very few people would even know the difference or know how decode the sling cutout markings to know it was an IBM.

Does you shock have traces of a cartouche? If it does keep it.
    My serial # is 386XXXX. The barrel and receiver are both IBM. The trigger assembly is Inland which from what I read could still be original. The stock on it is an M2 that I think someone tried to reshape like an M1. It has the Type II Inland sight, type III Inland bayonet lug, and flip safety. Under the barrel is an import mark Arlington Ordinance indicating that it spent time in South Korea.

(Bucks County)

My serial # is 386XXXX.
    Close enough for me since these published numbers are not always exact. I wouldn't have a problem with a low wood replacement and it would look a lot more correct than a reprofiled M2 stock. You can decide if its worth a premium to buy an IBM stock or a more common one since no one will know the difference.

You have a typical post WWII rebuild and there is nothing wrong with that since there are few (if any) original / as built rifles out there. With the current cost of parts it doesn't make sense financially to try and make it "correct" again (especially for an import).

(Schuylkill County)

I got a half decent IBM with a cartouche on Ebay for $136 plus shipping and tax.

(Bucks County)

I got a half decent IBM with a cartouche on Ebay for $136 plus shipping and tax.
    Looks like a nice stock and that is a great price. Enjoy.

(Schuylkill County)

Looks like a nice stock and that is a great price. Enjoy.
    Thanks! I actually tried to buy an Inland from the same seller that ended 10 minutes before this one. The Inland looked like almost mint condition. It sold for $148. Now I need to find a handguard that matches.

I might sell the vintage ATI polymer/wire adjustable length stock that came with the rifle to help offset the cost.

(Clearfield County)

Thanks! I actually tried to buy an Inland from the same seller that ended 10 minutes before this one. The Inland looked like almost mint condition. It sold for $148. Now I need to find a handguard that matches.

I might sell the vintage ATI polymer/wire adjustable length stock that came with the rifle to help offset the cost.
    Don't be surprised if it covers the price of the replacement.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Don't be surprised if it covers the price of the replacement.
    Really? That would be awesome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast