Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Youth BB gun options

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    How old is he and where do you plan on shooting it?
    4 years old, planning on setting up a range in my basement for winter. My dad has property he can shoot at come spring and use as he graduates to higher caliber options.

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    9 YO? hes olde enough for more serious stuff than a red ryder.
    Crosman 1322 with the carbine shoulder stock. When they get older take the stock off to teach them pistol marksmanship. Make a pellet trap target with some old steel and kitty litter.
    No not looking for an air rifle, something like the red Ryder that is simple to work the action and not enough ass to really hurt anyone.

Figure it*s a good time to start teaching basics and want to get him something distinctly different than a nerf style gun. This I can introduce similar to one of my hunting rifles, keep it in my safe when not working with him. Really work on safety basics and hopefully start scratching at marksmanship.

Yeah a box with a chunk of carpet and a target is what I was taught with.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    4 years old, planning on setting up a range in my basement for winter. My dad has property he can shoot at come spring and use as he graduates to higher caliber options.
    At 4 I wouldn't bother with anything besides a Daisy like a Red Ryder. Its the most basic to understand how it works and the easiest to operate (Though I doubt he'll be able to actually cock anything you choose on his own) And they're made for more diminutive shooters. If he were 9 or 10 I'd say go straight to a good spring pistol pellet rifle.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    At 4 I wouldn't bother with anything besides a Daisy like a Red Ryder. Its the most basic to understand how it works and the easiest to operate (Though I doubt he'll be able to actually cock anything you choose on his own) And they're made for more diminutive shooters. If he were 9 or 10 I'd say go straight to a good spring pistol pellet rifle.
    All kids are different… But it’s great that you’re starting young! Good for you guys!

We skipped air rifles and went straight to The 4 Rules, dry fire, and .22s.

My now 4yr old (who can recite The 4 Rules & understands what they mean in a practical sense) started shooting .22lr at weekly youth night at our club when she was 3. Poor thing had to mange my ancient Marlin bolt rifle which is wrong-handed for her… I’ve heard Santa is bringing her a pink lefty Savage Rascal .22 this year.

Santa is bringing my 7yr old daughter an M&P15-22 with that Muddy Girl camo furniture.. I’m kinda excited about that one too. 🤓

(Allegheny County)

Any consideration for an AirSoft gun?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12