Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Anybody collect coins?

All copper pennies made before 1982 have a copper melt value of 2.5 cents. There is a slight premium for wheat pennies too.

The problem is who do you sell them too. If you have a lot of them you can try Craigslist but ebay's out. Once you subtract shipping and fees its hardly worth the effort.

Same with trying to sell one of your pennies that has a listed value of 50 cents. Its not worth the effort so just give them to some young kids you like.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by archie19 View Post
    I think it was 43-45 nickels had a 45% silver content...
    And 1942, now that I looked it up. It has 35% silver, 9% manganese, and 56% copper (more copper than I assumed). They're not as popular for "silver stacking," but they still have some silver content.

(Bucks County)

And don't forget Kennedy half dollars made between 1965 and 1970 are 40% silver. They are not as popular as the pure silver pre-1964 coins but they are still worth about $3.50 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    All copper pennies made before 1982 have a copper melt value of 2.5 cents. There is a slight premium for wheat pennies too.

The problem is who do you sell them too. If you have a lot of them you can try Craigslist but ebay's out. Once you subtract shipping and fees its hardly worth the effort.

Same with trying to sell one of your pennies that has a listed value of 50 cents. Its not worth the effort so just give them to some young kids you like.
    One day I'll take my dad up to the rare coin company to see what they can do with his coins. https://www.dvrarecoins.com/
    FJB

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    One day I'll take my dad up to the rare coin company to see what they can do with his coins. https://www.dvrarecoins.com/
    Not sure how Dvcoins works but if your fathers coins value is based on bullion prices (circulated common date silver, silvers bars or new gold coins or bars) he might want to look at a national company like JM Bullion. Their site shows the current spot prices and they clearly post their buy and sell prices and when I was looking there was a surprisingly small spread for a dealer. Since gold and silver in your hand has a big premium now they were buying coins at the full spot price. I do think they have a $1-2K minimum for selling but their process looks straightforward. I was close to selling some stuff last year but decided to keep it so I didn't actually use them. But they should still be worth checking out.

Coins with value is based on date, rarity and condition are harder to get full value for and I don't know what to do with them either. In the old days you would consign them to an auction where you would get a higher price on an individual coin but the 10% buyers and sellers premium made it less worthwhile. Ebay is probably the best bet now but selling off coins one at a time can be a lot of work. Selling to dealers in bulk is probably the worse way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Not sure how Dvcoins works but if your fathers coins value is based on bullion prices (circulated common date silver, silvers bars or new gold coins or bars) he might want to look at a national company like JM Bullion. Their site shows the current spot prices and they clearly post their buy and sell prices and when I was looking there was a surprisingly small spread for a dealer. Since gold and silver in your hand has a big premium now they were buying coins at the full spot price. I do think they have a $1-2K minimum for selling but their process looks straightforward. I was close to selling some stuff last year but decided to keep it so I didn't actually use them. But they should still be worth checking out.

Coins with value is based on date, rarity and condition are harder to get full value for and I don't know what to do with them either. In the old days you would consign them to an auction where you would get a higher price on an individual coin but the 10% buyers and sellers premium made it less worthwhile. Ebay is probably the best bet now but selling off coins one at a time can be a lot of work. Selling to dealers in bulk is probably the worse way to go.
    I think most of his are the rare kind, dates and whatnot. He does have a lot of silver coins. My brother used a ton of them for pinball back in the 70s
    FJB

(Berks County)

I think most of his are the rare kind, dates and whatnot. He does have a lot of silver coins. My brother used a ton of them for pinball back in the 70s
    It sounds to me like yous outta go out to Gold and Silver Pawn Shop in Las Vegas
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I have two star notes, got them a couple weeks apart last month.

FJB

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    It sounds to me like yous outta go out to Gold and Silver Pawn Shop in Las Vegas
    Or luigi on the corner.
    FJB

(Delaware County)

I have two star notes, got them a couple weeks apart last month.
    I used to collect coins and a few bills so I've read up on a few things. The stars aren't worth any more than a dollar in a lot of cases.

"Is a dollar bill with a star on it worth anything?

The condition of a note plays a HUGE role in it's value. The rarest star note probably isn't worth much, if anything, more than face value if it's dirty and shredded. For older series notes, their run sizes matter far less. Completing star note sets by print run is more common among modern star notes."

https://www.mycurrencycollection.com...0star%20notes.

"On some notes, a star appears in place of the last letter. When an imperfect sheet is detected during the manufacturing process after the serial number has been overprinted, it must be replaced with a new sheet. A "star" sheet is used to replace the imperfect sheet."

https://www.bep.gov/currency/serial-...rfect%20sheet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast