Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Best Handguns to Leave in your Will

Guns are a pretty crappy investment in terms of long term performance vs. keeping them functional and secure. They*re also a pita to liquidate for your relatives if none of them are into firearms.

Maybe if you have a history of shooting with the kids, pass on one to each that has a pleasant story to it. My son as an example is only so so on his interest. He did say he would like my old military issue 1911a1 that I*ve carried everyday for more than 30 years.

He remembers shooting it a time or two when he was a lad but more important to him is his memory of me carrying it in uniform day in and day out. He remembers his friends telling him *your dad*s pretty cool he carries a 1911, not some pussy Glock**.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Chester County)

Pre-lock S&W revolvers, preferably pinned and recessed in popular calibers. Milsurp 1911s, Nambus, Lugers and the like, someone more versed in milsurp sidearms can expand on this idea. 1980s and earlier Colt revolvers.

(Fayette County)

Thumbs up Re: Best Handguns to Leave in your Will

Seems like a mix of leaving mostly valuable pistols primarily valued because of the memories you make with the next gen. or just give up, liquidate them, and leave gold, silver, and cash.

I may try for more of the glass-half-full approach and try to make more memories with the next generation now while I still can. Thanks for the various ideas.

(Chester County)

All my guns are willed to my 30 something boys... they can fight over them.

To the OP, my Springfield Armory 1911 will probably cause a ruckus between them.

(Lebanon County)

the best handguns to leave in your will, are whatever handguns you have to leave in your will.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    All my guns are willed to my 30 something boys... they can fight over them.

To the OP, my Springfield Armory 1911 will probably cause a ruckus between them.

Thirty boys that's going to be a royal rumble! What do the girls get?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

The best and most important guns to leave your children are the guns the left are trying to ban. Be sure to leave them enough ammo and magazines too.

(Allegheny County)

Even better would be to give them guns now so they have guns with no paper trail.
    That's a far more valuable gun than any "collectible" in the future when the gov starts tracking them down.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Mine are in a trust I got through SigForLife about12 years ago or so when trusts were a thing for class III goodies. My daughter is a trustee and the beneficiary.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    ......... Milsurp 1911s, Nambus, Lugers and the like, someone more versed in milsurp sidearms can expand on this idea............
    If you don't mind spending some money making this investment for your children, I'll share my thoughts-
    1- Buy something old and in good condition - I'm a fan of 20th century firearms, especially the one's found in the world wars; wartime 1911's, S&W Victory revolvers, C96 Broomhandle Mausers, and '08 Lugers command top dollar - especially when in good condition, other wartime sidearms that can be found in decent condition around the $1,000 - $1,600 level include most Jap Nambu pistols, German P38, and Walther PPK, lend lease revolvers, anything Soviet, and those 'big name' handguns that were purchased by soldiers and officers to carry (FN, Walther, S&W, Colt, etc.....). Another option that is a hidden gem is to look for firearms from other nations than the big 6 (USA, UK, France, Germany, USSR, Japan) - these include Swiss, Finnish, Spanish, Italian, and Chinese handguns.
    2- Look for classic Americana - firearms from the American Revolution through the Spanish American War. You can still find firearms from the Civil War through the early 20th century - DA Colt Army in .38 LC could have seen action in Cuba, a Colt Army could have marched with Sherman south to Atlanta, a Phila derringer could have done time in a gentleman's vest pocket during our nation's westward expansion, etc..... Firearms with a proven history and pedigree will be salty but are also desirable by collectors.

I've collected some older firearms (both long arms and side arms) - nothing too fancy or museum quality that I enjoy historically and hopefully will be an investment that my kids can appreciate. Other than that, I've made sure they have access to quality SA pistols and revolvers, along with ammunition, quality leather, and instruction with practice.
    -Bruce545

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast