Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Clubs close to Canonsburg

Howdy, I've read through the threads about places to shoot in the Pittsburgh area. Of course it looks like the closest clubs to where I live (Southpointe) would be Mcdonald or Carrick. Although the Pitcairn-Monroeville club looks great, it's a bit of a pain to get there from my home and if it's too much of a pain, I'd really rather shoot than drive.

Any members of either the Mcdonald or Carrick clubs around? I'm looking for a place to be able to shoot my pistols and AR15 on regular basis. Mcdonald is just a relatively short drive up 980. I've dropped them an email for some more info but any feedback anybody liked to share, I'd love to hear it. It also says you need a sponsor and anybody also willing to do that....

I've been shooting at AnonthyArms but it's far and I've seen some things that make me nervous about their attention to safety. I'd rather not shoot anywhere near anybody with less than the attention to detail required to be safe around firearms -- practicing your gangster shooting doesn't qualify.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Clubs close to Canonsburg

Quote Originally Posted by crashland View Post
    Howdy, I've read through the threads about places to shoot in the Pittsburgh area. Of course it looks like the closest clubs to where I live (Southpointe) would be Mcdonald or Carrick. Although the Pitcairn-Monroeville club looks great, it's a bit of a pain to get there from my home and if it's too much of a pain, I'd really rather shoot than drive.

Any members of either the Mcdonald or Carrick clubs around? I'm looking for a place to be able to shoot my pistols and AR15 on regular basis. Mcdonald is just a relatively short drive up 980. I've dropped them an email for some more info but any feedback anybody liked to share, I'd love to hear it. It also says you need a sponsor and anybody also willing to do that....

I've been shooting at AnonthyArms but it's far and I've seen some things that make me nervous about their attention to safety. I'd rather not shoot anywhere near anybody with less than the attention to detail required to be safe around firearms -- practicing your gangster shooting doesn't qualify.
    I've shot at McDonald.

Not a bad club but their policy is to do a pretty fair amount of work parties to keep your dues down, If you choose not to do them, it's around $150 per year IIRC.

There is a small club in the Washington fairgrounds parking lot. (Washington Sportsmans club ,I think) Don't know much about it.

Dormont /Mt Lebanon has very restrictive range rules as does Collier.

Don't know anything about Carrick, South Park Sportsmans club, Library or any others which are close to you.

I joined Coraopolis but have not shot there.

Pitcarin/Monroeville is a damn fine club. You can just about get your own pistol bay if you go. Many on this board are members. It's about 50 min from Bridgeville and at some point, the construction of the Parkway will be done.
    I go there through Mckeesport. I am not currently a member but have been threatening to rejoin soon.

Forest Grove is another pretty good club but you cannot shoot steel there.

Good luck, 27hand
    Last edited by 27hand; November 27th, 2008 at 02:18 PM.

(Washington County)

Thanks for the tips. I heard back from Neil from Mcdonald and their membership is actually closed until 2010, so that one is out.

I looked into Dormont Mt. Lebo and discovered they are located even closer than McDonald and saw a few posts about their club. The map to the club on their site is a little confusing (north is down, east is left) but with the magic of Google maps I was able to find a nice satellite image of the club grounds.

Unfortunately, being new to shooting and a workaholic, I don't know any members for the required two sponsors. If there are any pafoa members willing to help on that front, pls shoot me a PM

(Allegheny County)

Crashland,

There are at least a couple people on this board who are members there.

If i remember who, i will contact you.

That range has a policy of absolutely NO presentations from a holster.
    If you do any defensive pistol drills, you cannot do them at this facility.
    I'm not sure about magazine limits or # of rounds permitted in a rifle, shooting while moving, shooting at steel targets, shooting in low light.

Ask some questions before laying out the cash.

27hand

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by crashland View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I heard back from Neil from Mcdonald and their membership is actually closed until 2010, so that one is out.

I looked into Dormont Mt. Lebo and discovered they are located even closer than McDonald and saw a few posts about their club. The map to the club on their site is a little confusing (north is down, east is left) but with the magic of Google maps I was able to find a nice satellite image of the club grounds.

Unfortunately, being new to shooting and a workaholic, I don't know any members for the required two sponsors. If there are any pafoa members willing to help on that front, pls shoot me a PM
    crashland,

I am a member at Dormont-Mt. Lebanon. As far as the 2 sponsors goes, it's just a formality. When I went to the meeting to join, the guy giving the safety talk was 1 of my sponsors, and he just handed my application to another member to be my 2nd sponsor.

I should mention that the lower pistol range is closed indefinately (there was some sort of safety issue from what I understand.)

As the upper ranges are closed/used for matches on Saturdays from April to October, that means only the plinking range is available, which can only be used by 1 group at a time, and no centerfire rifles are permitted there.

Hopefully, they will change/reschedule some of the matches so the upper ranges are available on Saturdays.

If you are interested, let me know; we can meet up and I can give you a tour.

(Allegheny County)

You might want to look at Canonsburg Sportsmen Assn. as well. Here is their number: 724-745-4507
    The Lord Bless You

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dirksterg30 View Post
    As the upper ranges are closed/used for matches on Saturdays from April to October, that means only the plinking range is available, which can only be used by 1 group at a time, and no centerfire rifles are permitted there.
    Correction - I spoke to Bruce Ungar, the Executive Range Officer at DMLSC. According to Bruce, the ranges are only in use until about 11am. The ranges should be available after that.

Regarding the safety issue that led to the closing of the lower pistol range, Bruce told me that a bullet was found in a piece of equipment outside one of the houses across the creek from the range. The property in question is about 120 degrees off the safe firing direction at the lower pistol range.

(Washington County)

Thanks! Antony Arms is a bit of a long drive, not far in miles, just seems to take forever to get there. I'm certainly going to join a club closer to home. I'd much rather spend time shooting versus driving!

(Washington County)

I'm in a similar situation, having just moved to Washington, Pa. I'm going to look into the Mt. Lebanon/Dormont range, but not being able to draw from holster may be a little too restrictive for me. I'm trying to shoot uspsa/idpa when I get some time later in the year and could use some live practice to supplement the dry fire practice in my basement.

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    You might want to look at Canonsburg Sportsmen Assn. as well. Here is their number: 724-745-4507
    I called that number and got the answering machine for a welding company. Do you know anything about this range?

I'm starting to wish I just had enough land that I could shoot without anyone caring.

-Chris

(Allegheny County)

I'm in a similar situation, having just moved to Washington, Pa. I'm going to look into the Mt. Lebanon/Dormont range, but not being able to draw from holster may be a little too restrictive for me. I'm trying to shoot uspsa/idpa when I get some time later in the year and could use some live practice to supplement the dry fire practice in my basement.
    All I know is where is is located. I have never been on the grounds. An earlier post has directions.
    The Lord Bless You