Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Help with value of a collection

Thanks all, I contacted an appraiser and am talking to an auction company as well.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

might want to e mail Mark at Oldguns.net, he has always been very knowledgeable and helpful.

I've bought several estate collections over the years. I kept the guns I wanted, and took the rest to Alderfer's Auctions. They do a few firearms auctions every year. And since they went on-line, they misrepresent the pieces so much, you will get more even after they take their 20% cut than trying to sell them individually, pay to ship them, time/travel, etc.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lancaster County)

Horst auction center in Ephrata.
    They have a gun auction about every 6weeks.
    The next one is listing 320 guns including at least 3 M1 carbines.
    Everything from new and unfired to never even heard of it.
    Every time I went I never bid on anything because they all went for way too much $$$.
    Am tempted to go Dec 16th though. They are listing a Remington 700 classic in .257 Bob that I would like to pick up for my grandson in anticipation of him starting to hunt.

(Philadelphia County)

The appraiser has not responded so maybe this info will help to get approximate values.

Remington 03a3, condition- excellent, serial 37354xx, barrel is marked RA-43 towards the muzzle
    Springfield m1 garand, excellent condition, serial 70078xx, stock marked with faded 3 stars over eagle, barrel has possible stamps of NM or some sort of chevrons
    Inland M1 Carbine, exc cond, serial 63588xx, no barrel markings
    Mitchell Mauser, exc cond, box says collector edition in gold, has German bird stamp on receiver. MMCHB CA stamped on the barrel
    Mosin nagant, exc cond, side folding bayo serial 44xx
    S&W 586 no dash exc cond with factory box and grips
    Ruger mini 14, wood stock, exc cond, serial 184-562xx manufactured in the 80s

IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg

(Chester County)

They're all really old. I'll give you $100 for the lot of them.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    The appraiser has not responded so maybe this info will help to get approximate values.

Remington 03a3, condition- excellent, serial 37354xx, barrel is marked RA-43 towards the muzzle
    Springfield m1 garand, excellent condition, serial 70078xx, stock marked with faded 3 stars over eagle, barrel has possible stamps of NM or some sort of chevrons
    Inland M1 Carbine, exc cond, serial 63588xx, no barrel markings
    Mitchell Mauser, exc cond, box says collector edition in gold, has German bird stamp on receiver. MMCHB CA stamped on the barrel
    Mosin nagant, exc cond, side folding bayo serial 44xx
    S&W 586 no dash exc cond with factory box and grips

IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    The US military arms are worth well over a $1000 each in today's market. Specific manufacturer and evidence of rebuilding can affect value to some degree. So the 03-A3, Garand and Carbine should be worth a bit. I think you may be able to get closer to $1500 for Inland and Garand.

The Mitchell's Mauser is a rather nice looking, though completely faked historic piece. The company bought valueless Yugo Mausers back when they were selling for vitually nothing. Completely humped them into something they never were and sold them at considerable markup complete with fancy trimmings and "certificates of authenticity" to make them look more valuable. Once word got out about the level of fakery the company quietly disappeared. Generally not worth anything near the real thing (WW2 German Mauser), but you can reasonably get about $500-600 for one of these.

The S&W revolver is an L frame, designed to address concerns about a steady diet of magnum loads in the revolver line of the era. Not as sure as to what to tell you on that one. Guessing closer to $1k but you should check to see what current sales are bringing with on-line sources for these.

The Mosin M44 is both easy and hard to appraise. There are so many minor variations, plus degrees of refurnishment/import markings which affect value. Russian, Chinese, Polish, Hungarian, etc.... productions all affect bottom line. So does overall condition and is it matched parts, forced (electropencil) matched parts, etc... A big plus is the condition of this one. An easy thing is to simply say around $400-600 and be happy if you sell quickly.

The Ruger Mini-14 is also hard to say exactly. New ones are over $1000, so a used one should bring $700-900 right? Well, maybe.
    I've seen them go unsold for months even at that price. Nothing wrong with the Ruger, just not an AR with all the bells you can add to enhance the gun. Also the earlier guns tended to be less accurate, a design issue addressed on later production. Not sure where the improvement kicked in.

(Northumberland County)

All depends on the audience. I'd say E.C. is pretty close overall though. Around here those would mostly be auction prices/best case if sold in a shop, but they ARE realistic values. Right buyer, right selling environment...someone would scoop them up fast if the condition is as good as you say. They are all desirable, nothing there is junk. The Mauser might be the hardest sell because of it being "fake" in a sense.

And as mentioned, manufacturer and condition can have a big impact on the milsurps.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks, EC, I appreciate your help and knowledge.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post

The Ruger Mini-14 is also hard to say exactly. New ones are over $1000, so a used one should bring $700-900 right? Well, maybe.
    I've seen them go unsold for months even at that price. Nothing wrong with the Ruger, just not an AR with all the bells you can add to enhance the gun. Also the earlier guns tended to be less accurate, a design issue addressed on later production. Not sure where the improvement kicked in.
    OP's Mini-14 is one of the original design. The design improvements on Mini-14 were made over the period of 2005 - 2007 or so. The new and improved rifles, with a thicker barrel, have serial numbers in the range 58x-xxxxx. They are known as the "580 Series".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12