Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever or Bolt?

(Cambria County)

Default Lever or Bolt?

I have a model 7 7mm-08 with a 4x12 scope wich I've used to harvest many deer in the last 14 years.I just recently purchased a model 94 30-30 16'' carbine with no scope.I'm debating the idea of leaving the model 7 at home to make the hunt more challenging.I shoot open sights good out to about a hundred yards which is more than enough where I hunt,what do you guys and gals think?

Default Re: Lever or Bolt?

I don't know that it'll necessarily be harder, but if that's what you want to do, I don't see a problem with it. As long as you can place 5 bullets in a vital sized target at 100 yards with irons, I don't see why there would be a problem with you taking it hunting. I don't shoot lever guns much, but I've heard the leverevolution ammunition has really extended the range and accuracy of lever guns.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I don't know that it'll necessarily be harder, but if that's what you want to do, I don't see a problem with it. As long as you can place 5 bullets in a vital sized target at 100 yards with irons, I don't see why there would be a problem with you taking it hunting. I don't shoot lever guns much, but I've heard the leverevolution ammunition has really extended the range and accuracy of lever guns.

I tried the evolution out of a borrowed 30-30 that im going to hunt with this year and the groups are twice as bad that regular rem. core lok. Just putting it out there.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

...and my buddy showed me a target where he made a pretty clover leaf with the LeveRevolution ammo compared to a two inch spread on Rem. Maybe the gun liked it? I take the lever with me and leave it in the truck. Good for drives or when hunting thick brush etc... I will be hunting power lines this year and am leaving the lever at home for the first few days. Between my buddy and I, we have a spare bolt rifle and scope should one of our guns shit the bed.
    Jules

(York County)

I wasnt saying that the LeveRevolution was a bad choice, Just saying that it didnt work for me, but that doesnt mean anything. The same gun, made one after the other will probably like a different type of ammo, just ask your gun which flavor it likes and it will let ya know

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    I wasnt saying that the LeveRevolution was a bad choice, Just saying that it didnt work for me, but that doesnt mean anything. The same gun, made one after the other will probably like a different type of ammo, just ask your gun which flavor it likes and it will let ya know
    Many guns are certain ammo friendly (or not).

I'm taking my kids lever Marlin 336 this year for the first time. I'll have my friends 12 YO kiddo with me.

I like the scope option for verifying legal game. just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    Archer do you have luck with any ammo ? Lol, I'm just giving you a hard time. Like I said, I have no idea how it shoots, and I don't own any lever guns. I hardly ever shoot lever guns, those usually being a Henry .22 and sometimes a .30-30. Anyway, I just couldn't resist.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Archer do you have luck with any ammo ? Lol, I'm just giving you a hard time. Like I said, I have no idea how it shoots, and I don't own any lever guns. I hardly ever shoot lever guns, those usually being a Henry .22 and sometimes a .30-30. Anyway, I just couldn't resist.
    Hell no I don't! LOL, Thats why I like to stick with the customs, but when I say the ammo or the gun doesnt shoot well, it shoots what the average factory gun will do, I just am too picky sometimes. Speaking of guns, hows your 300? good I hope, when do you get to pop its cherry?

Well, since midway finally got the scope rail and some more bullets to me 2 1/2 weeks AFTER it was supposed to show up, I had to wait again. I just got back into town where the gunsmith could work on it, and he left day before yesterday to go hunting. He should be back on sunday, so I'm guessing it'll be monday before I get to "break 'er in".

P.S. Sorry Doug, I'm not trying to hijack the thread.

(Lebanon County)

I used my Model 94 .32 Win Spl for about 7 years until ammo just became a real pain. I have enough brass to reload it, but since I have taken my Enfield.

I loved hunting with that lever. I beat the snot out of it, and it always shot were I wanted it to. I shot it both open sights and scoped, and did real well both ways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast