Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: How do you carry comfortably while fat

You said new gun isn't in the cards for a few months, but consider a gun for pocket carry if you can. I have a Sig P365 XL in my pocket all waking hours of the day every day. If not, consider OWB. My other two carry options are C. Rusty Sherrick high-ride OWB leather holsters. I carry at ~8:00 (leftie). Full size 1911 and Colt Detective Special. Very comfortable.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by lantech19446 View Post
    You're the second person to mention the supertuck I can definitely see the appeal but for someone who is almost 400lbs do you think the backing will actually hold your gut away from the gun enough to make it at least more comfortable?
    There is absolutely nothing that can carry a gun comfortably around the waistband of a 400 pound man unless he is 8 foot 3.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by lantech19446 View Post
    You're the second person to mention the supertuck I can definitely see the appeal but for someone who is almost 400lbs do you think the backing will actually hold your gut away from the gun enough to make it at least more comfortable?
    Clearly body shape is a big consideration. It seems to me that something other than appendix carry would be best. I carry extra weight and have not had a problem IWB at 3:30.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Shoulder rig...

Attachment 170283
    I have one of them for my P7 and wear it in the winter.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    Clearly body shape is a big consideration. It seems to me that something other than appendix carry would be best. I carry extra weight and have not had a problem IWB at 3:30.
    Appendix carry is a bad idea in general, and I'm not talking about the potential to blow your nuts off or shoot yourself in the femoral artery. Having a holster or any object where you bend at the waist for an extended period of time is a bad idea because it creates a pressure point along the belt line. This can cause all kinds of lower gut issues. It's an especially terrible idea if you have a gut that hangs over your belt because it's not just uncomfortable, but also the risk of potential injury to the bowels is greater. Biologically speaking, we are not designed for appendix carry. It's a relatively new method of carry, so many haven't had enough time to see the long term results.

If you're a big guy, wear your gun on your side or in a pocket. Pocket carry is better because it doesn't require you to tighten your belt as much as you would trying to keep a holster in your waistband.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Shoulder rig...
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have one of them for my P7 and wear it in the winter.
    Shoulder rigs are good if you have a decent cover garment, but it doesn't lend itself to taking said garment off in public, like at a restaurant. And I've never seen one that didn't print one way or another. Also, shoulder holsters can be a liability if you're in a fight and someone can get within grappling range. Gives an experienced fighter something to use to tangle you up.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Shoulder rigs are good if you have a decent cover garment, but it doesn't lend itself to taking said garment off in public, like at a restaurant. And I've never seen one that didn't print one way or another. Also, shoulder holsters can be a liability if you're in a fight and someone can get within grappling range. Gives an experienced fighter something to use to tangle you up.
    I totally agree with all you said, but, when was the last time you saw Fatty McFatass wrestling anyone? Rolling around on the ground trying to get that runaway donut, yeah, but he ain*t grappling with anyone for anything with less than 2000 calories!
    I*m currently maintaining at 288/6*1*. I*m not fat, I*m merely slightly difficult to kidnap!

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I totally agree with all you said, but, when was the last time you saw Fatty McFatass wrestling anyone? Rolling around on the ground trying to get that runaway donut, yeah, but he ain*t grappling with anyone for anything with less than 2000 calories!
    I*m currently maintaining at 288/6*1*. I*m not fat, I*m merely slightly difficult to kidnap!
    Never judge a book by its cover. There are lots of big guys that can move a hell of a lot faster than people think. Most big guys are also pretty strong. If they can get close enough to grab you, they can do some damage. Add martial arts training, and you have a force to be reckoned with. Plus, grappling doesn't require going to the ground. In fact, it's something you always want to avoid in a fight.

(Bucks County)

Never judge a book by its cover. There are lots of big guys that can move a hell of a lot faster than people think. Most big guys are also pretty strong. If they can get close enough to grab you, they can do some damage. Add martial arts training, and you have a force to be reckoned with. Plus, grappling doesn't require going to the ground. In fact, it's something you always want to avoid in a fight.
    Ok, let*s see a video of a 400lb *buffet destroyer* moving fast. I hold the opinion the only way you have that video is if you know a CGI master.

Appendix carry is a bad idea in general, and I'm not talking about the potential to blow your nuts off or shoot yourself in the femoral artery. Having a holster or any object where you bend at the waist for an extended period of time is a bad idea because it creates a pressure point along the belt line. This can cause all kinds of lower gut issues. It's an especially terrible idea if you have a gut that hangs over your belt because it's not just uncomfortable, but also the risk of potential injury to the bowels is greater. Biologically speaking, we are not designed for appendix carry. It's a relatively new method of carry, so many haven't had enough time to see the long term results.

If you're a big guy, wear your gun on your side or in a pocket. Pocket carry is better because it doesn't require you to tighten your belt as much as you would trying to keep a holster in your waistband.
    I've been Appendix carrying for about 3 years now daily and no issues but I'm also not fat. There should be zero concern with shooting yourself in the nuts or femoral artery as long as you've got a quality holster and are competent.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast