Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: NY Licenses

(Berks County)

Default NY Licenses

I was in NY for a couple of days and one of the guys I know is a gun guy. We were talking and he showed me his permits. He has one permit to own and one to carry concealed, concealed only. Open carry is not legal there except for LE. His license to own, included 'semi-automatic rifle'. Yep, he even had to get a cert for his Ruger 10/22. He said that the new requirements to possess include range exercises so there is an increase in range brass to be had.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: NY Licenses

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I was in NY for a couple of days and one of the guys I know is a gun guy. We were talking and he showed me his permits. He has one permit to own and one to carry concealed, concealed only. Open carry is not legal there except for LE. His license to own, included 'semi-automatic rifle'. Yep, he even had to get a cert for his Ruger 10/22. He said that the new requirements to possess include range exercises so there is an increase in range brass to be had.
    fukh.png land Gulag

Unless your buddy is in NYC or one of the special areas like Westchester, that information doesn't sound completely accurate.

1) In the majority of the state, there is no separation between a possession permit and a CC permit. They are one in the same. NYC and special areas like Westchester might have a different system, though.

2) Part of the recent(ish) CCIA legislation requires a permit to purchase a semi-auto rifle or shotgun. It can be an addon to a pistol permit. But, unlike pistol permits, this is a one-and-done kind of thing - approval is not required for each semi-auto rifle. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this bullshit at all, just pointing out the facts.

3) There are no recurring range time requirements for pistol permits, though range time is now required for initial application. Again, NYC/special areas might differ from this.

4) There's lots of debate in the gun community in NY regarding the legality of open carry. Like PA, open carry is not explicitly prohibited anywhere in NY law. And, as we all know, if it's not prohibited, it is de-facto legal. Some groups read between the lines of the possession/permit laws and derive a ban on open carry based on their interpretation. Others refute that assertion. (I can get into more details of both sides of the argument this if you're interested). There is one big barrier to testing the theory that open carry is legal: the facts that we cannot possess pistols without a permit, and our permits can be revoked for any reason at the whim of a licensing officer. Meaning, anyone who was arrested while testing the legality would almost certainly have ALL of their guns confiscated (not just pistols!). Anyone wanting to test the legality of open carry will be putting most, if not all, of their 2A rights on the line, and would at minimum give them up for the duration of the court battles.

There are so many details relating to #4, I could go on for days. My personal opinion: I'm in the camp that open carry is actually legal in NY, but proving this would be a fruitless venture... as soon as the courts declared that open carry was not prohibited, NY would pass laws explicitly outlawing it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Unless your buddy is in NYC or one of the special areas like Westchester, that information doesn't sound completely accurate.

1) In the majority of the state, there is no separation between a possession permit and a CC permit. They are one in the same. NYC and special areas like Westchester might have a different system, though.

2) Part of the recent(ish) CCIA legislation requires a permit to purchase a semi-auto rifle or shotgun. It can be an addon to a pistol permit. But, unlike pistol permits, this is a one-and-done kind of thing - approval is not required for each semi-auto rifle. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this bullshit at all, just pointing out the facts.

3) There are no recurring range time requirements for pistol permits, though range time is now required for initial application. Again, NYC/special areas might differ from this.

4) There's lots of debate in the gun community in NY regarding the legality of open carry. Like PA, open carry is not explicitly prohibited anywhere in NY law. And, as we all know, if it's not prohibited, it is de-facto legal. Some groups read between the lines of the possession/permit laws and derive a ban on open carry based on their interpretation. Others refute that assertion. (I can get into more details of both sides of the argument this if you're interested). There is one big barrier to testing the theory that open carry is legal: the facts that we cannot possess pistols without a permit, and our permits can be revoked for any reason at the whim of a licensing officer. Meaning, anyone who was arrested while testing the legality would almost certainly have ALL of their guns confiscated (not just pistols!). Anyone wanting to test the legality of open carry will be putting most, if not all, of their 2A rights on the line, and would at minimum give them up for the duration of the court battles.

There are so many details relating to #4, I could go on for days. My personal opinion: I'm in the camp that open carry is actually legal in NY, but proving this would be a fruitless venture... as soon as the courts declared that open carry was not prohibited, NY would pass laws explicitly outlawing it.
    I dunno, all I really know for sure is what I saw and what I saw was two permits. One was a permission to own with a list of pistols and a 10/22 listed on it along with a semi-automatic rifle endorsement. Poor guy has nothing on Cruzans, all his stuff fit on one side of a DL sized permit. Then he had his concealed carry permit, which is what it says it is. Anything else would be speculation from me. Poor guy likes his Tauruses but has no H&Ks or Sigs.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness