Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Unhappy 18 yards vs 25 yards

I shoot at spag at least one time a week at 18 yards with my springfield 1911 I can pretty much hit center on the 5 circle rifle target, but if I go to double action range in delaware county, at 25 yards it seems that I can not hit center mass, what is the problem.

(Luzerne County)

Its a mind thing. I have one officer that can make good hits from the 20yd line, but if I have him take one or two steps back, his shots go to crap.

Default Atmosphere

Many things can change how you shoot, Indor especialy, is the floor slopped, what backdrop there is, lighting... all things that can change how you see things. Although the further you are the more pronounced your error will be, there are factors that can add to the task.

Try this solution, Stop looking at the target, the target should be a gray mass behind a very distinct sight, try this for example, go to the fireing line, close your eyes, raise the gun to shooting position, open your eyes, see where you would be shooting, this is your natural position. change the position to center your target, repeat the closed eyes, raise open. Also check to see your elevation, you might find this odd, but many ranges have a sloap and this changes your perception of where the target is. try to keep the target at your eye level if possible, ranges that have a down sloap will seem further.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Potter County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA
    Its a mind thing. I have one officer that can make good hits from the 20yd line, but if I have him take one or two steps back, his shots go to crap.
    Sounds like me. Up to 25 yds, I'm good to go with fairly decent COM hits. Put the target at 30 yds, I wouldn't get a good group with a Hammerli ...........

(Bucks County)

Shooting at distance uncovers a lot of your shooting problems, which can be masked at closer distances. That's why it can seem that all is well at <20 yds, and at 25 yds it all falls apart.

The only cure is to rededicate yourself to fundamentals.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: 18 yards vs 25 yards

Dry fire. A lot. Make it natural for the sights to stay put.

(York County)

Thumbs up Re: 18 yards vs 25 yards

There has been times in our lives where we have heard the term: " Back to the
    drawing board". This drawing board would appear to be a review of basic
    marksmanship training skills. Stance, Grip, Sight alignment, Sight picture, Breath
    control, Trigger squeeze, Follow through. I would reccomend shooting a bullseye
    target(50 yd slow fire) with the old standard of five round strings at 25 yards, when is the last time the weapon has bench fired?, sights off. Know your ammo
    and what it does at varying distances. there are several thoughts on this matter
    and what to look for, but for now: "Back to Basics".