Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PA to NY State

(Bucks County)

Default Re: PA to NY State

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyVet View Post
    Assume that you have no rights in New York state.
    FIFY
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

PRNY resident here. I highly recommend you do not do this. It's a great way to get 3 hots and a cot for a lot longer than you'd hope. Consider: I have a NYS full carry permit, and even I cannot realistically carry anywhere in the state, thanks to the CCIA legislation. Among many terrible things, the CCIA flipped the longstanding private property paradigm on its head. In PA, you can carry onto private property unless specifically prohibited, either by signage or direct notification from an authority of that property. If you refuse, I believe that can result in a defiant trespass charge.

In NY, post-CCIA, it is a felony to carry onto private property without express permission from the property owner/authority - meaning, signage that says "guns are welcome" or the owner/authority explicitly giving you permission. This covers ALL private property - residences, businesses, parking lots. Pull into a gas station with a pistol in your car? Felony.

While this law doesn't really change things for people who do not hold permits, it's an example of just how bad things are here.

Several years ago, a friend of mine from Georgia came up to NYS to spend Christmas with family. He was pulled over, one thing led to another and the trooper discovered he had a pistol. Spent the next two weeks - including Christmas and New Year - in jail. He was lucky in that his charges were eventually settled (he was arrested in a very gun-friendly portion of NY)... many aren't so lucky.

I don't get it ... it seems NYS LE does its best to jam up honest law abiding people with red tape ... why? ... how does that improve public safety or is it just a make work project for NYS lawyers???
    CCW Permits: UT, PA, NH, ME Life Member: NRA, GOA

Quote Originally Posted by GOYABEAN View Post
    I would be willing to bet 9/10 people who do this will get away with. But the consequences of getting caught are to high to risk being the 1 out of 10.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    PRNY resident here. I highly recommend you do not do this. It's a great way to get 3 hots and a cot for a lot longer than you'd hope. Consider: I have a NYS full carry permit, and even I cannot realistically carry anywhere in the state, thanks to the CCIA legislation. Among many terrible things, the CCIA flipped the longstanding private property paradigm on its head. In PA, you can carry onto private property unless specifically prohibited, either by signage or direct notification from an authority of that property. If you refuse, I believe that can result in a defiant trespass charge.

In NY, post-CCIA, it is a felony to carry onto private property without express permission from the property owner/authority - meaning, signage that says "guns are welcome" or the owner/authority explicitly giving you permission. This covers ALL private property - residences, businesses, parking lots. Pull into a gas station with a pistol in your car? Felony.

While this law doesn't really change things for people who do not hold permits, it's an example of just how bad things are here.

Several years ago, a friend of mine from Georgia came up to NYS to spend Christmas with family. He was pulled over, one thing led to another and the trooper discovered he had a pistol. Spent the next two weeks - including Christmas and New Year - in jail. He was lucky in that his charges were eventually settled (he was arrested in a very gun-friendly portion of NY)... many aren't so lucky.
    I could never live in a state like NY with their gun laws...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by pricedo View Post
    I don't get it ... it seems NYS LE does its best to jam up honest law abiding people with red tape ... why? ... how does that improve public safety or is it just a make work project for NYS lawyers???
    Because they've been *told* to...

(Jefferson County)

It isn't about safety, it is about control. It originated in 1911 to control the Irish and Italian immigrants because they were owning and carrying handguns.

Since NY couldn't single-out one/two ethnic groups with a law due to the 14th Amendment, they made it apply to everyone. ...sorta like how many other states did with slaves/freedmen and then all blacks prior to the 14A, then had to make it apply to everyone after the 14A.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I don't get it ... it seems NYS LE does its best to jam up honest law abiding people with red tape ... why?
    Because NY has a big liberal city full of idiots who overwhelmingly vote for politicians who seek to jam up honest law-abiding people with red tape.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12