Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New CCARE protocol for NJ CCP

Just curious if anyone has qualified under NJ's new CCARE protocol, which replaced their HQC2-Modified protocol of 07-21-2023, for their NJ CCP?

(Chester County)

Default Re: New CCARE protocol for NJ CCP

I qualified under the old HQC-2 (Mod) course of fire but have read over the new CCARE protocol. It seems similar to the COF used for the Maryland qualification except you draw from a holster for NJ. I would think it is not too demanding a course to pass. Maximum distance is now 15 yards instead of 25 and none of the strings of fire is timed. Also I don't think you need to fire from a kneeling position anymore and also strong/weak hand only shooting I think is no longer required. If you are interested, get it done before they change things again! The overall process is not all that difficult. Just demands a bit of persistence to get it all done.

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    I qualified under the old HQC-2 (Mod) course of fire but have read over the new CCARE protocol. It seems similar to the COF used for the Maryland qualification except you draw from a holster for NJ. I would think it is not too demanding a course to pass. Maximum distance is now 15 yards instead of 25 and none of the strings of fire is timed. Also I don't think you need to fire from a kneeling position anymore and also strong/weak hand only shooting I think is no longer required. If you are interested, get it done before they change things again! The overall process is not all that difficult. Just demands a bit of persistence to get it all done.
    Thanks for your response.

I am familiar with the new standard, and it does not require kneeling or weak-hand firing any longer.

I am trying to figure out what Instructors/Company's are using the new standard and who has used any of them.

(Chester County)

I have used Vinco Tactical for both the NJ and Maryland classes with great success. They are always up to date on the latest requirements as soon as they become official. Reach out to Chad Strickland at Vinco for information about upcoming classes. chad@vincotraininggroup.com They offer top notch instruction and well run qualification shoots!
    Classes are held in the Eastern PA region, usually at Kings in KOP or Southern Lancaster County Sportsmens Assoc.

You could also reach out to Malvern Armory just off Rt 30 and Rt 352 in Malvern. I believe they also offer NJ PTC classes. No experience with them but their facilities are quite nice!

If you have any questions about the NJ process, feel free to reach out. I just went through it so am pretty current on what's required. Start by obtaining your NJ FID card on-line. This is required even if you are a PA resident and will take about two weeks after filing. Instructions are on the NJ Portal. You will need Identogo fingerprints which are available locally in the Exton/West Chester area.

(Bucks County)

Which makes me wonder how those changes came about. Cooler head(s) intervened? Gun clubs and/or orgs pressed the matter? Glad for it. I am too infirm to physically confront and that is part of the need for a license to carry. A kneeling requirement would have the same effect as precluding the handicapped.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Chester County)

My understanding is one or more groups filed lawsuits and NJ decided to change their requirements from the old HQC-2 to CCARE. My buddy was unable to pass the HQC-2 since he has terrible knees and was unable to assume the kneeling position. That issue should be resolved with the new standard which is much more realistic anyway for normal non-LEO people.

If you are persistent, you can get your NJ PTC in about two weeks total. But you need to get the instruction, qualification shoot, passport photos, fingerprints, and FID card approval first before applying on-line for the PTC. You will need 4 references as well who will be emailed a questionnaire to fill out. References are apparently no longer contacted by phone as they used to be.

The CCARE standard looks pretty similar to the Maryland course of fire and should be fairly easy to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    I have used Vinco Tactical for both the NJ and Maryland classes with great success. They are always up to date on the latest requirements as soon as they become official. Reach out to Chad Strickland at Vinco for information about upcoming classes. chad@vincotraininggroup.com They offer top notch instruction and well run qualification shoots!
    Classes are held in the Eastern PA region, usually at Kings in KOP or Southern Lancaster County Sportsmens Assoc.

You could also reach out to Malvern Armory just off Rt 30 and Rt 352 in Malvern. I believe they also offer NJ PTC classes. No experience with them but their facilities are quite nice!

If you have any questions about the NJ process, feel free to reach out. I just went through it so am pretty current on what's required. Start by obtaining your NJ FID card on-line. This is required even if you are a PA resident and will take about two weeks after filing. Instructions are on the NJ Portal. You will need Identogo fingerprints which are available locally in the Exton/West Chester area.
    Thank you again, excellent response!

I took my MD class with Vinco, so I will reach out to them

I might look into Malvern Armory also

Thank you again!