Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Holosun 507C for Super Blackhawk & Deer Hunting

I'm thinking about getting a Holosun 507C (or maybe a 507Comp) as an optic for my Super Blackhawk for deer hunting. Expect shots not to be longer than 30 to 40 yards. As I am getting older, getting harder and harder to use iron sights. Anyone have experience w/ reflex sights on deer hunting pistols?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Holosun 507C for Super Blackhawk & Deer Hunting

I had a Bushnell dot on a Super Blackhawk for quite awhile. Optic crapped on me, but until then it was pretty sweet. Much easier to make shots 40yds+ with it. I'll probably replace it one of these days. Haven't really hunted with the pistol in a couple years.

(Luzerne County)

Burris Fastfire 3 with a Weigand weig-a-tiny mount on my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. This particualr handgun is sighted in for 50 yards. I can shoot out to 100 yards with this handgun, but I consider it my "short range" (50 yards and under) hunting handgun.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Burris Fastfire 3 with a Weigand weig-a-tiny mount on my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. This particualr handgun is sighted in for 50 yards. I can shoot out to 100 yards with this handgun, but I consider it my "short range" (50 yards and under) hunting handgun.

Same mount I used as well.

(Westmoreland County)

Here is my Super Blackhawk Hunter w/ a Weigand Picatinny mount & a Sig Romeo5 red dot sight. Shot it and like it A LOT better than the 2x-6x pistol scope that I had on it. Was getting decent groups - 2" at 25 yards. I know that is not great & I know that the gun shoots better - I need more practice. Will take more groups at 50 yards and assuming that I keep it within 5" will treat that as my max deer range.

BlackHawk Romeo5.jpg

OK - no idea why image is upside down...

I am also on the verge of needing something other than irons, especially in weird light conditions, but man, you guys are killing me with the red dots on the single actions. LOL I will have to get a Super Redhawk or a 629 Classic to pull this off

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I am also on the verge of needing something other than irons, especially in weird light conditions, but man, you guys are killing me with the red dots on the single actions. LOL I will have to get a Super Redhawk or a 629 Classic to pull this off
    I need a red dot for even good light conditions. At 59 I just can't see the sights well enough to shoot accurately. Barely can do it shooting iron sights on a bullseye targe where you have the best lighting and target contrast possible. Through in mediocre lighting and poor contrast & I do not have a chance. No point in a poor wounding shot because of pride.

I agree that a red dot does not look 'right' on a single action, but it does shoot well. I like the gun a lot and am not inclined to get a redhawk, etc. just for looks.