Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default 1911 - Getting rid of ambi safety?

I'd like to get rid of the ambi safety on my 1911 and replace it with a standard one side thumb safety. Difficult to do? Any pointers?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: 1911 - Getting rid of ambi safety?

A good quality after-market TS will have to be fitted.

ETA: They usually aren't "drop in".
    Last edited by TonyF; November 26th, 2008 at 09:18 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    A good quality after-market TS will have to be fitted.
    I agree, and most of the junk ones do too. lol

===

The engagement "cam" or "catch' (lack of better word) usually needs worked with a file to work properly.

With the thumb safeties, this is one part on the 1911 that I seriously recommend having someone experienced fit. Any other part is practically a no-brainer with little risk of danger. ...well, except fitting or doing a trigger job to the sear and hammer.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I agree, and most of the junk ones do too. lol

===

The engagement "cam" or "catch' (lack of better word) usually needs worked with a file to work properly.

With the thumb safeties, this is one part on the 1911 that I seriously recommend having someone experienced fit. Any other part is practically a no-brainer with little risk of danger. ...well, except fitting or doing a trigger job to the sear and hammer.
    Glad you mentioned this. On the same gun in question, the slide doesn't lock back after the last round reliably. I think it needs a new slide stop installed. I have a new slide stop, but when I install it, the slide will not go all the way into battery, so it needs fitted. How do I do that myself?

(Allegheny County)

Dude! Please tell me this isn't the same gun as in this thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/39...ract-help.html
    Toujours prêt

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Glad you mentioned this. On the same gun in question, the slide doesn't lock back after the last round reliably. I think it needs a new slide stop installed. I have a new slide stop, but when I install it, the slide will not go all the way into battery, so it needs fitted. How do I do that myself?
    BCD,

I'd have to look at it to give you an honest and correct answer. I've only seen one slide catch that had to be fitted and it was on the latch that the magazine follower lifts up on.

If you have the original slide catch, you can compare them to find any "fat" or oversized areas that might interfere with the slide's travel. Sometimes even a minute fraction of an inch of extra mass will throw a wrench into the works.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Dude! Please tell me this isn't the same gun as in this thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/39...ract-help.html
    No. Different gun, different problems. *sigh*

(Chester County)

Dave based on your location I would highly recommend that you call George at EGW and have him look at both of your 1911's. He makes parts that are very good and he is a very good smith. If I didn't already have a great relationship with John Harrison I would not hesitate to use George for anything. His reputation is flawless.

As far as the problem with the slide not locking back, it very well could be a bad spring. When was the last time you changed your springs in your magazines and your recoil spring? It also could be as simple as fitting your slide stop or you could find that you will not have the problem with a different brand of mags. Wilson 47d's are pretty good across the board but Tripp also makes good ones. The mouths are all slightly different and sometimes certain 1911's just don't like certain kinds.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Dave based on your location I would highly recommend that you call George at EGW and have him look at both of your 1911's. He makes parts that are very good and he is a very good smith. If I didn't already have a great relationship with John Harrison I would not hesitate to use George for anything. His reputation is flawless.

As far as the problem with the slide not locking back, it very well could be a bad spring. When was the last time you changed your springs in your magazines and your recoil spring? It also could be as simple as fitting your slide stop or you could find that you will not have the problem with a different brand of mags. Wilson 47d's are pretty good across the board but Tripp also makes good ones. The mouths are all slightly different and sometimes certain 1911's just don't like certain kinds.
    I have a local smith that I know and trust, but thanks for the recommendation.

The recoil spring has around 1,500 rounds on it. I have the problem with every magazine I own, including my 47D's.

(Bucks County)

I'd like to get rid of the ambi safety on my 1911 and replace it with a standard one side thumb safety. Difficult to do? Any pointers?
    One question. Why? Why would you want to remove that which makes your gun more valuable? It doesn't get in the way of anything, except maybe a lower end holster, that only allows for one side safety. I guess maybe I answered my own question, but I have an ambi-safety and believe it to only adds to its' value, especially when a left-handed shooter tries it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast