Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Basic Hunters Safety in our Schools

Recently I emailed Sam Roher concerning getting basic hunters safety back in our schools. He was quite receptive. I'm urging you to contact your state house rep and Sam Roher concerning this one. It may help prevent us from losing our battle through attrition.

Here is what I sent Sam.
    "Mr Sam Rohrer, I'm writing because I noticed that Basic Hunter's Safety Education has fallen out of our schools. One of the pinnacles of the Basic Hunter's Safety Education class is firearm safety. I honestly believe there would be less gun accidents among minors, both hunting and around the home, if this class were once again to be offered to our children. This may also have the added benefit of raising awareness of our priveledge to hunt in the great state that is the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania! Thanks,"

Here is the reply I got:
    "Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Basic Hunter Safety Education in our schools. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me and affording me the opportunity to respond. I always enjoy hearing from a fellow outdoor enthusiast and friend in the gun and hunting community.

As you noted in your correspondence, basic hunter education continues to fall out of our schools' curriculums. While there are still some schools that have basic hunter education courses, they are few and far between. Like you, I believe such action is detrimental to both the safety and future of hunting in our Commonwealth.

There is no doubt that the reintroduction of basic hunter education, including firearm safety, to our school curriculums would reduce both hunting and non-hunting related gun accidents among our youth. Likewise, it would certainly help raise awareness of the privilege, tradition and heritage that hunting encompasses here in Pennsylvania.

Recently, the state of West Virginia approved legislation mandating that hunter education programs be offered in public schools to students from grades eight through twelve. Students are not mandated to take the course, rather it is elective. I applaud West Virginia for enacting such a measure and believe other states, including Pennsylvania, should follow their lead. I am hopeful that in the coming legislative session this issue can be brought to the forefront in out great state.

Finally, I have taken the liberty of forwarding your correspondence to House Game and Fisheries Committee staff, for reference and review. Should the West Virginia model, or any similar legislation seeking to increase hunter education in our schools, move through our committee and come before the full House, I will certainly keep your opinions in mind and share them with my colleagues before casting my votes.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. If you have further questions regarding this or any other state-related matters, please feel free to contact my office.

Rep. Sam Rohrer"

Please help with this one. If we can get hunters safety back in our schools it may help to teach kids that guns aren't the root of all evil.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Basic Hunters Safety in our Schools

Why? Our children are already taught about drugs, sex, violence, abuse, and everything else... and look how well they are doing at that.

Do we really want them teaching anyone how to use a gun or how to hunt?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Luzerne County)

I am sorry I can't get behind this one. Half the kids graduating can not read or count. I do not want the same caliber of teachers to teach kids how to safely handle a firearm.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Why?
    Some people have an irrational fear of firearms that goes away once they've actually learned first-hand about them.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by awkx View Post
    Some people have an irrational fear of firearms that goes away once they've actually learned first-hand about them.
    I agree. But the school system is not the ones to do it.

(Allegheny County)

So you just want them to skip over firearm safety all together?

A lot of anti's use "for the children" as a reason for gun control laws. This is one "for the children" things I agreee with.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by offshorebear View Post
    So you just want them to skip over firearm safety all together?

A lot of anti's use "for the children" as a reason for gun control laws. This is one "for the children" things I agreee with.
    Of course not. I would just rather someone who actualy cares about the sport to do it.

I have had three boys through the school system. One still in it. I can't imagine that system doing a good job.

I can rattle off several members here who doesn't trust the system to teach the basics subjects. They home school them.

I'm not shitting on any teachers as most are good ones and have dedicated their lives to education.
    I'm sure you've questioned to yourself your child's teacher about one thing or another.
    However, death, sex and guns should be explained/taught by the parents. Not some "subject" in schools. These are three things that are personal family matters. Besides these three things can be ultra sensitive and discussing with your children could bring you much closer as a family.

(Monroe County)

I'd just like to point out that if we allow hunting education and firearm education in our schools we'll also have to allow anti-firearm teachings and PETA demonstrations...

the door swings both ways guys
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I'd just like to point out that if we allow hunting education and firearm education in our schools we'll also have to allow anti-firearm teachings and PETA demonstrations...

the door swings both ways guys
    I don't see how that follows. Hunting education is the teaching of a practical skill. Anti-firearm lectures or PETA demonstrations are anything but.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast