Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Japanese Arisaka

Any folks knowledgeable about them? I'm considering a 99 that is pre 1942, chrome lined that is super clean and all matching. It even still has the Mum intact. Bore shiny, wood in great shape. Has that quillion I believe it's called on it and dust cover too. Overall great shape. Are they desireable? Value? I see them all over the boards on GB and know that later ones were junk and refered to as "last ditch" rifles. I don't have one, so considering - lol. Thanks!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Default Re: Japanese Arisaka

My friends father in law mailed one home to his house in philly from his battleship using a fire hose as a case.
    It has the anti aircraft sites on it and bayonet. My friend still has it.
    FJB

(Cumberland County)

Nice, yes this one has the anti aircraft sites with it too. Seems sweet overall. I read that at the end of the war they were poorly made and referred to as "last ditch", but earlier ones are good and ones in great shape and in tact, lined, dust cover and with Mum in tact because most were defaced are getting harder to find - was just wondering what any experts thought
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Bucks County)

Not an expert but the rifle sounds very desirable. Expect to pay a premium for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Nice, yes this one has the anti aircraft sites with it too. Seems sweet overall. I read that at the end of the war they were poorly made and referred to as "last ditch", but earlier ones are good and ones in great shape and in tact, lined, dust cover and with Mum in tact because most were defaced are getting harder to find - was just wondering what any experts thought
    I think my friend said it's worth around 1200.00
    FJB

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    There are a few stages of "last ditch" but generally the simplifications were done to speed production and save material. They are not attractive rifles but they're still safe to shoot.

The one you're describing in your original posts sounds about as desirable as a general issue type-99 can be, assuming it hasn't been monkeyed with it has some value to it.

(Berks County)

I have a 1940 Type 99 my grandfather brought back from Okinawa, has the 18" bayonet with the quillon. Unfortunately it has two slashes on the chrysanthemum but other than that it's in great shape and a key piece in my WW 2 battle rifle collection.

FWIW ammo is pricey and hard to come by ...
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(York County)

Gunboards has a specific sub topic area just for Japanese arms. Strongly suggest posting info about it there.
    Sounds like this rifle is a winner. Mum intact means likely captured, not surrendered. Anti-aircraft sights were one of those features discarded as the war went on and on top of matching serial numbers is a pretty scarce rifle in today's world. Seriously need to share it with folks there to get an idea of whose aresenal built it and current market value.

(Chester County)

Can someone post a photo?

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all. I decided to get it, I'll pick it up Wednesday. I'll post pics then! For the price, I can't pass on it Anyone with more info. please keep posting!
    I tried posting on gun forums but even though a member, it says I can't post? Too many steps, new procedures for me to be patient enough to figure out - lol.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast