Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pittsburgh City Council Passes “Lost or Stolen” Measure!

Pittsburgh City Council Passes “Lost or Stolen” Measure!
    Please Contact Mayor Luke Ravenstahl Today!

In a preliminary vote taken yesterday, the Pittsburgh City Council passed an anti-gun ordinance that would require gun owners to report a lost or stolen firearm within a 72-hour period or face fines and possible imprisonment. The measure passed overwhelmingly by a 6-1 margin with two abstentions. A final vote could be taken as early as next week, after which the measure will go to the Mayor for his signature or veto.

This ordinance violates Pennsylvania’s preemption statute; Title 18, Section 6120. Limitation on municipal regulation of firearms and ammunition. This section specifically states that, "No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth."

This ordinance may also be in conflict with Article 1, Section 21 of the Constitution of Pennsylvania which states, “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned.” However, the Pittsburgh City Council is thumbing its nose at the Constitution. Councilwoman Tonya Payne (District 6) even had the nerve to say, "Who really cares about it being unconstitutional?"

State preemption regulating firearms was enacted by the legislature to avoid the possibility of 2,639 separate firearm laws across the Commonwealth. Without preemption there would be a myriad of local firearm laws making compliance impossible for law-abiding gun owners.

Please contact Mayor Luke Ravenstahl (D) TODAY and respectfully urge him to oppose this illegal and unwarranted attack on our Second Amendment rights. The Mayor can be reached by phone at (412) 255-2626, by fax at (412) 255-2687, or email mayorcompl@city.pittsburgh.pa.us.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pittsburgh City Council Passes “Lost or Stolen” Measure!

(Allegheny County)

I didnt get a chance to read all the posts, but does this pertain to residents that live outside of the city? I'm in a suburb of Pittsburgh.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by paul36 View Post
    I didnt get a chance to read all the posts, but does this pertain to residents that live outside of the city? I'm in a suburb of Pittsburgh.

It will if enough of us do nothing, and let big cities do this.

Once enough cities get away with it, it will spread. Legal or not.

Obviously, the plan is to keep doing this until enough people are aware of it and say, "what's the big deal?" Not good.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!