Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default The eye closer to the target becomes the dominant eye?

I used the widely used dominant eye test but the results are pretty mixed. Generally, left eye is dominant for things to my left, and right eye is dominant for things to my right, and a total mix for things straight ahead. Basically, the eye closer to the target becomes the dominant eye.

When shooting, since the target is generally straight ahead, I turn my head slightly to the left to use the right eye, or to the right to use the left eye. Otherwise, my eyes fight each other, making it hard to get a clear sight. Again, the eye closer to the target is the dominant eye.

I know it's possible to have no dominant eye, but hard to find how it manifests. (Like is it just random or does it follow some pattern like mine?) I wonder if anybody also has this experience and knows how to deal with it when shooting.

Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: The eye closer to the target becomes the dominant eye?

Quote Originally Posted by cntxpa View Post
    I used the widely used dominant eye test but the results are pretty mixed. Generally, left eye is dominant for things to my left, and right eye is dominant for things to my right, and a total mix for things straight ahead. Basically, the eye closer to the target becomes the dominant eye.

When shooting, since the target is generally straight ahead, I turn my head slightly to the left to use the right eye, or to the right to use the left eye. Otherwise, my eyes fight each other, making it hard to get a clear sight. Again, the eye closer to the target is the dominant eye.

I know it's possible to have no dominant eye, but hard to find how it manifests. (Like is it just random or does it follow some pattern like mine?) I wonder if anybody also has this experience and knows how to deal with it when shooting.

Thanks!
    Shoot with both eyes open?
    Dominant eye is highly overrated and dwelled upon. You can train your eye muscles to eliminate any effect the so called dominant eye has.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cntxpa View Post

Thanks!
    You might be like me. I have no dominant eye. On the plus side, I can see those magic eye pictures really easily.

Edit: Sorry skimmed too fast. My experience is that if I focus on the close point I'll see 2 of the distant point that is supposed to be in line. If I use the create an open triangle with my two hands and look through it to a distant point, and then move the hands close to to my face the distant point splits and then disappears behind both hands at the same time.. I know most instructors don't like it, but I shoot with my left eye closed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Shoot with both eyes open?
    Dominant eye is highly overrated and dwelled upon. You can train your eye muscles to eliminate any effect the so called dominant eye has.
    Not so sure on that. When use both eyes, I see either the front sight, or the target, but never together (I can't line up the sight and the target with both eyes and when I do my brain edits out the target like if it was in my blind spot.)

(Lackawanna County)

When shooting both eyes open it’s called target focus. You’re not supposed to see both at the same time.

(Bucks County)

If you*re shooting for fun or some types of bullseye competition, closing one eye is fine.
    If you*re training for or involved in a self defense shooting, closing one eye is an issue.

Closing one eye while you are fighting limits the amount of information you receive right off the bat, and that*s bad. I*ve trained hundreds of people in defensive shooting and can*t recommend limiting your vision.

Over the years I*ve seen a lot of instructors and others get completely wrapped around the axle over the dominant eye issue.
    Even to the point of having students adopt weird, unusable stances to accommodate it.

Such as teaching a right hand dominant grip then cocking the head to use the left eye in sighting while closing the right eye.
    Not only does it look ridiculous, nobody fights like that. Try some force on force training and spar that shit out with a partner.

Better make sure your mouth guard is in cause you*re gonna need it.

(Berks County)

I don't ever remember shooting with both eyes open, Imma have to give this a try and see how I like it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

My dominant eye is pretty much whichever eye I used for my last five shots. I'm ambidextrous, I shoot almost as well with my right hand/eye as I do with my left. Over the last few years, I've had some vision issues and I shot Precision Pistol with whichever hand had the better vision.

Don't let it confuse you. As someone else noted, take into account what you are training for. Defensively, being able to switch may be an advantage but for competition, I would go with your dominant hand and THAT eye.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I don't ever remember shooting with both eyes open, Imma have to give this a try and see how I like it.
    Be patient. It takes a while to get adjusted to it. It makes sense, you wouldn*t go into any other kind of fight with one eye shut.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Be patient. It takes a while to get adjusted to it. It makes sense, you wouldn*t go into any other kind of fight with one eye shut.

From first hand experience, his advice works.

(Washington County)

I suggest you research target focused shooting and practice it. Also your eyes are like other muscles or physical skills, they can be trained. After shooting USPSA for 10 years I've noticed my visual speed in general is faster than I remember it being. You can train your eyes to do what you need them to. My beneficial changes were less intentional, but still substantial.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast