Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Cutting Down A Double Barrel

I just got back from a road trip and have concluded that I would like to have an 18” double barrel for inside the van. The donor gun will be a Stevens Model 311a 2 3/4” 12g.

Before I start this project, Is there anything I need to know before I start cutting? I plan to cut the barrel then blue the exposed steel. There’s currently a bead sight but not sure if I’m going to relocate it but if I do, how do I go about doing it and is it worth doing it? Thoughts on a red dot? The stock will be sanded down and refinished in some type of black along with installing a fixed shell holder. Any other ideas or info is appreciated.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Cutting Down A Double Barrel

Tip - you may want a gun smith that can braze to do it. Sometimes those joining ribs between the barrels only have good connections at the respective ends, regardless has to how good it looks down the entire length of the barrel. Then you may want to have the void filled at the muzzle.

Attached is a quick MS paint drawing for example
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northumberland County)

It's hard to get a squared up cut without real equipment. But it's also a scattergun, and will still do what its supposed to do. Leave an extra 1/2" though so you dont run afoul of the feds. And ×2 on the ribs and potential brazing.

If you're after sights, I'd sell that one and buy a Mossberg or Remington pump with means to mount a rail on the receiver. Might even come out to the good on $. A Mossberg or Maverick pump can handle a rail, can usually be had cheap, come with HD barrels in the 18-20" range (18" is usually 5 shot mag tube, 20" is usually 7 shot for Mossberg)

(Northumberland County)

Out of curiosity, why a SxS?

Cant have loaded while driving like a pistol, and lacks capacity of a pump shotgun

(Berks County)

I'd see if CDI won't do that. He's in Chalfont and does some good work. He might be out on a motorcycle tour right now though.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

I do that. It*s 80.00.
    Cut to your length, ribs reinforced at the cut and brass or silver bead installed.
    If you don*t like the beads I have in stock, I*ll install the (new) sight you provide.

Assuming I*m recovered from the motorcycle trip which beat my azz right well.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Out of curiosity, why a SxS?

Cant have loaded while driving like a pistol, and lacks capacity of a pump shotgun
    We’ll I’ve always wanted an 18” double barrel. I probably shouldn’t have mentioned the van. This is more about just having one with an option of taking it on the road etc.

… light weight, more reliable, less moving parts, I don’t shoot shotguns nearly enough to trust myself working the slide in a high stress situation and lastly, I have a large dog that will be a buffer so I want something to end things quickly and I think 1-2 shots of 12g should do it. At the end of the day a SxS makes the most sense for me in the van.
    We travel a lot and have to leave the van for hours at a time so I’d rather have an old shotgun that was handed down to me stolen over something newer.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    It's hard to get a squared up cut without real equipment. But it's also a scattergun, and will still do what its supposed to do. Leave an extra 1/2" though so you dont run afoul of the feds. And ×2 on the ribs and potential brazing.

If you're after sights, I'd sell that one and buy a Mossberg or Remington pump with means to mount a rail on the receiver. Might even come out to the good on $. A Mossberg or Maverick pump can handle a rail, can usually be had cheap, come with HD barrels in the 18-20" range (18" is usually 5 shot mag tube, 20" is usually 7 shot for Mossberg)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I do that. It*s 80.00.
    Cut to your length, ribs reinforced at the cut and brass or silver bead installed.
    If you don*t like the beads I have in stock, I*ll install the (new) sight you provide.

Assuming I*m recovered from the motorcycle trip which beat my azz right well.
    Sounds good. Message me your cell number. The one I have is just a recording last time I called.

(Blair County)

Do you mean a shell holder mounted to the stock? May not be legal to carry ammo that way if in a vehicle.
    Steve

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bravo30 View Post
    Sounds good. Message me your cell number. The one I have is just a recording last time I called.
    The message directs to my email.
    Please reach me at: cdicustom@hotmail.com
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast