Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DIY Kydex Holster

Apparently it's a thing, and you don't need many tools, and for the looks of the guys on youtube, you don't have to be very smart.

So from what I've figured so far is you need an oven, pop a sheet of kydex in for about 60 seconds, then take it out and wrap your gun after you tape it up, then put it into a foam press. Apparently sheets of kydex are pretty cheap.

For those that have done it, do you have any recommendations on foam and kydex sheets that you've used? Also pictures are always welcome.

Default Re: DIY Kydex Holster

Hmmmmm ... so you declare that they guys that have done it aren't very smart. Then you ask for people who have done it to identify themselves. I guess if anyone does come forward they will prove your assumption. ;-)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Domer Dad View Post
    Hmmmmm ... so you declare that they guys that have done it aren't very smart. Then you ask for people who have done it to identify themselves. I guess if anyone does come forward they will prove your assumption. ;-)
    Dammit! Yeah I've made a few...

(Allegheny County)

Couldn't edit my post. I've bought materials from diy holsters. I made my press from plywood and stacked up pieces of blue exercise mat foam.

I can usually get a holster made in about 45 minutes

(Allegheny County)

Not sure where original version of this went unless I deleted it....

I've made holsters for family and friends for years. This is minimalist, comfortable, doesn't move, and the best holster I've ever tried, not that I've tried them all. I couldn't find what I wanted so I made it. This is one I made for a friend's shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Domer Dad View Post
    What I meant is that the process is a lot more simpler than I thought, with the tooling being extremely basic. I always assumed there were special forms or injection molded plastic. I spent years as a lathe and mill opperator, as well as numerous other specialized jobs where you couldn't just "do" it. While this process, it see that is not the case. I wasn't calling kydex holster makers dumb, just the barrier to entry is lower than I thought.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    What I meant is that the process is a lot more simpler than I thought, with the tooling being extremely basic. I always assumed there were special forms or injection molded plastic. I spent years as a lathe and mill opperator, as well as numerous other specialized jobs where you couldn't just "do" it. While this process, it see that is not the case. I wasn't calling kydex holster makers dumb, just the barrier to entry is lower than I thought.
    Oh, I thought you were implying that those guys were cross-eyed, toofless hillbillies and if they could do it, anybody can.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    What I meant is ... I wasn't calling kydex holster makers dumb, just the barrier to entry is lower than I thought.
    Just to be clear, I understood -- just poking some fun.

(Jefferson County)

About 10yrs ago there was a guy in PA that would make a kydex holster for any gun, you just had to supply the gun if he didn't have the model you wanted. He was located in PA, but I believe he passed away sometime around 2015.

If it was something that he didn't have, you would have you show up to his place with it, then form the holster around it using just an oven, a heat gun, some wooden/metal rods, and heat protective gloves to push it into the nooks and crannies. And some basic tools(wrenches/rivet guns). He had posted a few videos on how to make them on Facebook(his page is long gone now).

For a while there I even thought about making some as a side gig - for beer/gas money. I decided otherwise when I looked at my guns and saw that I only have stuff that nobody wants to carry. lol Mostly old or oddball stuff to use as molds.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Oh, I thought you were implying that those guys were cross-eyed, toofless hillbillies and if they could do it, anybody can.
    If you have a youtube channel, I automatically put you in a special category anyway. I miss how youtube used to be, just random uploads of videos of something you did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast