Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: DIY Kydex Holster

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    If you have a youtube channel, I automatically put you in a special category anyway. I miss how youtube used to be, just random uploads of videos of something you did.
    Hey now! I just happen to have myself a youtube channel with informative videos in it like this.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/j59HB...?feature=share
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    About 10yrs ago there was a guy in PA that would make a kydex holster for any gun, you just had to supply the gun if he didn't have the model you wanted. He was located in PA, but I believe he passed away sometime around 2015.

If it was something that he didn't have, you would have you show up to his place with it, then form the holster around it using just an oven, a heat gun, some wooden/metal rods, and heat protective gloves to push it into the nooks and crannies. And some basic tools(wrenches/rivet guns). He had posted a few videos on how to make them on Facebook(his page is long gone now).

For a while there I even thought about making some as a side gig - for beer/gas money. I decided otherwise when I looked at my guns and saw that I only have stuff that nobody wants to carry. lol Mostly old or oddball stuff to use as molds.
    I have a berretta 92 with light that I'd like a holster for, and of course the keltec p50. But no one is making odd balls. Plus the price of a good holster is $$$ these days, while the price of a sheet of kydex is pretty cheap, once you have other the other tooling. I can make a press, I just need to figure out what foam is good. I have a spare toaster oven, rotary tools, all that fun stuff. There seems to be a lot of controversy about what foam is good and what's not.

(Delaware County)

For foam, I bought really cheap 1.5 inch kneeling pads from Amazon. 2 pieces of 1/2 inch plywood, 2 kneeling pads and 2 carpenters bar clamps made an easy press.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    For foam, I bought really cheap 1.5 inch kneeling pads from Amazon. 2 pieces of 1/2 inch plywood, 2 kneeling pads and 2 carpenters bar clamps made an easy press.
    Can you link the foam you used, or an example?? How firm is it?

(Delaware County)

These are what I got. Unfortunately no longer available. Lots of similar items on Amazon though. The foam is firm. A lot firmer than say ear plugs or gun case foam. That is why I went with kneeling pads. I figured they would be designed to compress under weight but not lose cushioning. The center section inside the handle cuts is about 16x11.5 inches. Plenty of area for any holster or sheath I*ll ever make. I even got an extra that Her Majesty uses in the garden.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the Kydex I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Delaware County)

Oh, note that many of the pads have handle cuts on the long edge. Try to find handle cuts on the short edge to give you the best usable width. Fairly obvious, but worth saying anyway.

(Allegheny County)

My foam was a cheap exercise mat/sleeping mat I had laying around. I have 3 pieces for each side of the press. I used 2 pieces of plywood and I use my bench fuse and clamps for the pressure. Works great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12