Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10mm pistols

(Bucks County)

Default 10mm pistols

I need another caliber like I need another hole in my colon.

However, I've been wanting a 10mm for a while now. About 6 months ago I shot someone's G20. It was considerably less snappy than I expected after all the hype.

ammo is about 40 cents a round online.

Been looking at G20. G40, Sig Ten x, and 1911. Before I buy I will shoot as many as I can.

Looking for some feedback from people who shoot 10mm.

Edit: spelling
    Last edited by McSull; July 23rd, 2023 at 06:47 PM.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: 10mm pistols

Get the hi-point.

I have a RIA 1911 in 10mm, so far it has been superb
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Cumberland County)

Got the glocks small to large, love them all. Picked up a rock island dbl. stack crazy fun it is. No issues with any of them. You gotta reload with this round its so versatile it*s crazy sorta like the .357. Mild to hot they are all fun.

I*ve got a first generation (for the 10 mm) Glock. Never had any problems with it. I get it out to the range once every year or two, normally when I am introducing a new shooter to different calibers. I start them with .22 and work on up.

In my mind it is a gun I would take if I am hiking in bear country. (If I am being honest this is not likely to happen). It*s not a gun I will ever like carry for self defense, I already have a carry gun I use in 9mm.

I have no problem with it, but if I were to sell it I would not really miss it. It*s not a must have caliber to me.

(Bucks County)

Would love to make my own, but no time.

I've got a S&W 1076, Witness Stock III, Ruger GP100, and Hi-Point JPX10, all in 10mm. I love shooting the first three. The 1076 and the GP100 are guns I will never part with, if I have any say in the matter. The Hi-Point is a different animal and I bought it because it's big, dumb and impractical. I recommend it only if you want something cheap and stupid to shoot 10mm through at the range. I am not a fan of lightweight pistols and heavy calibers. The G20 and the XDm in 10mm were not pleasant shooters for me. Haven't shot the S&W M&P or the new Sig P320, but I had an M&P in .357 Sig and I didn't like that, so I doubt I'd like the 10mm version. The Sig P220 in 10mm is a really nice gun, just really expensive for what it is. My Stock III is a much better 10mm pistol, and that's before I put a better trigger in it.

(Chester County)

Honest question for the 10 mm crowd, other than bear defense and range fun what was your reason for going 10 mil.?
    I've contemplated 10 mm but I've got plenty of .357 for bruin defense here in the East and don't need another pistol or caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    Honest question for the 10 mm crowd, other than bear defense and range fun what was your reason for going 10 mil.?
    I've contemplated 10 mm but I've got plenty of .357 for bruin defense here in the East and don't need another pistol or caliber.
    Straight up, I was at my FFL and he had a smoking deal on the Glock 10mm I bought. It was an impulse buy. Other than the 2 reason you listed it really does not have a purpose for me. I don*t dislike the round by any stretch, but it is not one that excites me more than any other round. I like to CC and it is to large to CC for me, plus I have other guns I would rather carry.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    Because 10 is greater than 9.... Seriously, when 10mm was introduced, it was a means to get .357 mag (and even .41 mag on the low end) performance out of a semi-auto pistol that fit into a 1911. Yeah, Coonan had (has?) their .357 semi-auto pistol, but it was stupid expensive and finicky. Cool though, and I'd love to own one some day. I have 10mm guns because they're fun to shoot. They're too big and heavy for EDC, and for something that was small and lightweight enough for EDC, I wouldn't want to shoot it because it's not going to be fun. I shoot what I carry nearly every time I go to the range. Putting a few hundred rounds of 10mm through a full size gun can be a bit much. Doing the same with a G29 with Double Tap ammo? No thanks. I will occasionally carry my GP100 when going for a walk in the woods. It's suitable defense for two and four legged predators.

I've also shot my 1076, Stock III, and GP100 in competition. I can shoot basic factory ammo, which has much less oomph and doesn't cost nearly as much as the hotter stuff. And, in the case of the Ruger, I can shoot .40S&W, so that's even cheaper to shoot, and works well for competition. In some cases you can shoot .40S&W out of a 10mm semi-auto gun, but you really shouldn't.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast