Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Going to hospital for a few days

I Rock the LCP in the pocket. Or the LCP Max on hip holster. Been in hospital many times with the pocket pistol. Even got an X-ray once with it in my pocket. Thankfully they were only doing a chest X-ray .
    ΑΣΦ

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    FYI - many hospitals now have metal detectors at security checkpoints somewhat like at a courthouse.
    Typically that's the ER. During business hours the maternity wing, depending on the hospital, will have a separate unsecured entrance.

When we arrived at Phoenixville hospital at 1am they came down and opened the entrance for us, so didn't have to go through the ER.

Anyway, back to question as posed. First - congrats! Second, definitely carry, and carry on person unless it's just to get a couple hours of sleep (won't be more than that haha) in which case you can stash it in a bag while it's right next to you. Don't leave it unsecured. I have a Vaultek Life Pod for situations just like this (or when swimming at a friend's, for another example). Easy way to secure a gun for a small amount of time so you aren't unarmed the rest.

Also do us all a favor, do not mention 'comfort' to your wife for a long time..... . But really, hospitals are wacky places - it's a good idea to carry. Had to go to the NICU at St. Christopher's in Philly for 2 weeks with my son and my 365 lived on me for about 18 hours a day. Find a comfortable way to carry.

Congratulations, good luck with the birth I hope everything goes smooth. We just celebrated our daughters 1/yr last week, at the hospital we ended up there for a total of 3 days leaving around midnight after the 48 hour monitoring hold was up. My wife was induced in the morning and she had our daughter a little after 11pm.

I carried the entire time and just went with a micro compact that I never really have to worry about printing with.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    FYI - many hospitals now have metal detectors at security checkpoints somewhat like at a courthouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Typically that's the ER. During business hours the maternity wing, depending on the hospital, will have a separate unsecured entrance.

When we arrived at Phoenixville hospital at 1am they came down and opened the entrance for us, so didn't have to go through the ER.

Anyway, back to question as posed. First - congrats! Second, definitely carry, and carry on person unless it's just to get a couple hours of sleep (won't be more than that haha) in which case you can stash it in a bag while it's right next to you. Don't leave it unsecured. I have a Vaultek Life Pod for situations just like this (or when swimming at a friend's, for another example). Easy way to secure a gun for a small amount of time so you aren't unarmed the rest.

Also do us all a favor, do not mention 'comfort' to your wife for a long time..... . But really, hospitals are wacky places - it's a good idea to carry. Had to go to the NICU at St. Christopher's in Philly for 2 weeks with my son and my 365 lived on me for about 18 hours a day. Find a comfortable way to carry.
    Found that out the hard way a few months back. Had to take my wife to the ER at Chester County Hospital and where we got there I saw they had metal detectors at the ER entrance. Walked her to the entrance and then feigned like I forgot something at the car. Walked back and disarmed before returning inside. Wasn't happy about it, but I wasn't going to leave her in the ER by herself, either.

Carried through the entire hospital, maternity, ER, etc without incident. Also had a backpack on me. No one gave a second look. All good.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Carried through the entire hospital, maternity, ER, etc without incident. Also had a backpack on me. No one gave a second look. All good.
    Does this mean there is a healthy mom, and healthy baby on the outside now?

(Montgomery County)

Good deal and hope all is well at home!

(Delaware County)

Isn*t it strange that the hospitals where you*re most likely to need it are the ones that disarm you? Crozier Chester, metal detectors. Riddle Memorial and Lankenau, no metal detectors.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Does this mean there is a healthy mom, and healthy baby on the outside now?
    A week over due, they induced labor. From 0mm to 4mm dilation over the course of 30 hours, the doctor broke the water manually to try and speed things up. Then, with each contraction, the uterus clamped down on the umbilical cord reducing the flow, dropping fetal heart rate from 150bpm to 70bpm. So they stopped contractions and performed an emergency c section. Everything was successful, everyone recovered, and now we're home. Still adjusting to the new schedule.

(Delaware County)

A week over due, they induced labor. From 0mm to 4mm dilation over the course of 30 hours, the doctor broke the water manually to try and speed things up. Then, with each contraction, the uterus clamped down on the umbilical cord reducing the flow, dropping fetal heart rate from 150bpm to 70bpm. So they stopped contractions and performed an emergency c section. Everything was successful, everyone recovered, and now we're home. Still adjusting to the new schedule.

Congrats.

Congrats. Blessings for your new baby.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast