Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Old Pistol - Hopkins & Allen

From what I'm seeing at BlueBook - the H&A XL (not having the 8 on it) was made from 1902 to 1914. They don't even list an XL8 model, which may be a submodel of the XL, and if so it would make your gun a "modern firearm".

At Guns International that have an XL8 listed, can classify it as C&R. Looks like the SN is 2809, which is lower than yours.
    https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101231540

I'd lean very much to "modern firearm" with yours.

PS: I'm seeing way too much conflicting info on the XL and XL8 series.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Thanks. I also saw a lot of conflicting information. Someone said it could not be an '8.' It is definitely an '8.'

We'll sell it and transfer it.

It is a cool little gun and the mechanism is flawless. Not bad for over 100 years old.

(Jefferson County)

H&A used to make Merwin, Hulbert & Co's guns, which most of the XL line was made for.

You gun more closely resembles a XL model/no# 3 or Bulldog than a XL model/no# 8.

#3's were in .22 and .32 rimfire. 1875-1907 production.

The "XL double action Large Frame" did come in .32S&W but was 7 shot, certainly not this gun.

The H&A Bulldog also looks similar, chambered in .32RF and .32S&W. 1875-1907 production

http://www.american-firearms.com/ame...20Company.html
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

(Bucks County)

I found the .32 black powder ammo that the owner of the pistol kept in another desk drawer. The head stamp says, "RHA Company .32 S&W. As you can see in the photo, the corrosive black powder seems to leaching out or just eating away the lead bullets. I plan on getting rid of these at a safe ammo disposal site. Meanwhile, is there much chance of the primers going bang with transporting or handling?

black powder ammo.jpg

(Bucks County)

That*s probably just lead oxidation on the bullets. I*m doubting it*s powder leaching out. I had some bp .32 ammo that was copper cased, rimfire.
    Threw a couple in the burn barrel and they produced a loud bang- much more than smokeless cartridges do. I don*t think they represent any substantial risk over modern ammo, maybe just keep them from building up a static charge.

The lead looks like it*s in good shape for it*s age. Bet most of the primers will function.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    That*s probably just lead oxidation on the bullets. I*m doubting it*s powder leaching out. I had some bp .32 ammo that was copper cased, rimfire.
    Threw a couple in the burn barrel and they produced a loud bang- much more than smokeless cartridges do. I don*t think they represent any substantial risk over modern ammo, maybe just keep them from building up a static charge.

The lead looks like it*s in good shape for it*s age. Bet most of the primers will function.
    Thank you!

(Bucks County)

Black powder can be stable for centuries and I bet the primers still work. The bullets are just slightly oxidized so shoot them.

If you can obviously see a new bullet hole in your target and know the gun fired each shot keep shooting. If not I would check the barrel after each shot for a squib. A pencil will work just fine. If a bullet doesn't shoot I would wait 10-15 sec before you investigate to make sure there is not a delayed ignition.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    I found the .32 black powder ammo that the owner of the pistol kept in another desk drawer. The head stamp says, "RHA Company .32 S&W. As you can see in the photo, the corrosive black powder seems to leaching out or just eating away the lead bullets. I plan on getting rid of these at a safe ammo disposal site. Meanwhile, is there much chance of the primers going bang with transporting or handling?

black powder ammo.jpg
    Dude, that is nothing. A cartridge collector would likely be interested in those.

Blackpowder itself isn't corrosive, it creates corrosive salts when fired. If anything is corrosive in that cartridge it is likely the primer if it is of fulminate of mercury compound.

You can clean up those bullets & cartridges. ...possibly even fire them. (I wouldn't, they are probably worth a few bucks)

If you want to have some BP cartridges, get some new brass, slightly open up the flashhole, prime, then use them as scoops in a bowl of FFFg - fill to about 1/8" below the mouth of the case and seat & crimp a bullet. You don't want any air space in the cartridge, a slight compression of the BP is desired. Depending on seat depth of whatever bullet you use, you might need to fill slightly less than 1/8" below mouth.

And do not use jacketed bullets with BP iron/steel guns. Just use lead bullets.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post

Do you know how much .32 Short and .32 Long rimfire sell for these days? $250 a box is typical, sometimes more.

(Bucks County)

Gee, thanks for that. I had quite a few and some vintage 44wcf as well.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast