Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Re: Community outraged after cop shoots harmless golden retriever dead

Dogs can very clearly sense when someone either doesn't like them or is afraid of them, and they definitely act differently around people who give off that vibe. Especially the 'fear' vibe imho; I can't claim to understand what a dog is thinking but I suspect it's something along the lines of, 'What does this dude have to be afraid of? He must be up to something against my family.'
    Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EFK View Post
    Dogs can very clearly sense when someone either doesn't like them or is afraid of them, and they definitely act differently around people who give off that vibe. Especially the 'fear' vibe imho; I can't claim to understand what a dog is thinking but I suspect it's something along the lines of, 'What does this dude have to be afraid of? He must be up to something against my family.'
    ^^^^This.

Our Berner Schäferhund mix is a big cuddly teddy bear. If you show fear he will close and bark. He even bluff charges and snaps at the air but he has never bitten anybody including us. He is a big boy but even with his Shepherd markings, you can tell he's a sweetheart.

Dogs react to body language probably more than any other factor. If you greet him openly, he will come running for petties and give kisses.

That being said, I only let him off leash if we're hiking in the sticks or on top of South Mountain. Too many people are scared shitless of dogs. Plus he thinks everyone is as happy to see him as he is to see them.

Most people can tell a friendly dog unless they're blinded by their fear of them. A lot of little kids look at Sig, yell "puppy!" and come running.

Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Bucks County)

I don't agree with the shooting, especially after it was down, but 2 different dogs with different body language approaching the cop...

I knew of a dog that seemed friendly but then would snap or try and nip when close.....that dog is no longer around I heard.

If the cop didn't care for the dogs then don't get out of the patrol car.

(Wayne County)

Despite being a dyed in the wool dog guy, I'm gonna disagree here on this. While the cop might indeed be inept at reading dog body language, the dog wasn't "crossing the street" as the owner claimed. The dog was running right toward the officer.

Now, having been attacked and bitten by two dogs while in Africa, all that I can say is that not all aggressive dogs appear to be aggressive. They don't have to be barking, or snarling, or snapping. These dogs were sleeping on the porch of the building that they were guarding (that I didn't know was closed). When they saw me they lazily got up, yawned, stretched and came down the steps slowly, as if to meet me for a head scratch. Totally flat affect. BUT, when they got to within 3-5' of me they quickly split off in different directions and flanked me on either side. I got bit in the hand and the ass, before I backed away enough that they slowly walked back to lay down on the porch.

Nervous, frightened, or intimidated dogs will growl and bark. Dogs that are protecting something sometimes just go to work. Understanding this through personal experience, I would cut the cop some slack. Not because I think that he was formerly traumatized by a dog attack and was now scared, but because he may also have experienced what I experienced.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(York County)

Traumatized or not - you hurt my dog - I hurt you.
    Kill him and you receive the same.

(Allegheny County)

Was it still attacking him when he continued to kill it as it crawled away?

I didn't watch.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Was it still attacking him when he continued to kill it as it crawled away?

I didn't watch.
    That part of it didn't make sense.....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsBarking View Post
    Traumatized or not - you hurt my dog - I hurt you.
    Kill him and you receive the same.
    lol…

I used to love dogs, but really dislike most of them now. I’m always worried about the owners having such a mindset, where if their dog needed to be dealt with (because they couldn’t control it), now I’ll have a problem with the owners lack of self control as well.. then need to deal with them. It escalated quickly as most owners don’t see the animal as simply an animal..

(Cumberland County)

Not going to speculate on this one, wasn*t there didn*t see. Will say not all dog owners are equal. There are those that don*t bother to train or control. I*ve been putting up with two chronic barkers right next door for several years. They bark like hell every time they are let out. Keep in mind our houses are literally 10 feet apart. We can*t go in our back yard without hearing them bark at us day and night. Fast forward, daughter turned me on to an ultra sonic training device that dogs find quite uncomfortable. That*s right I*m training the neighbors dogs. Took less than a week. They bark they get zapped they run to the back door and whimper to get in. The sight of the mrs or me sends them running. I don*t even need to leave the house, I can zap them thru the kitchen window if needed. Even the other neighbors have commented on the change. As far as I can tell the dog owners don*t know what*s happening as the device is small. We feel mean at times but this summer has been so much more pleasant. I told the mrs to take it on her daily walks for strays or uncontrolled dogs as a deterrent. Not all dogs are your friends and I personally find bite*s painful and the possible health issues are there as we all know. I*ll end this with a it*s not the dogs fault it*s not trained it*s the owners. Irresponsible owners are the issue and yes I*d rather zap them if I could.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yes, legally, including your yard. Having your dog in a cage or behind a fence that prohibits the dog from free-roaming negates the need for a leash. It has been the law for many decades.

It isn't about the owner's land, it is about the dog being able to roam.
    As a state pennsylvania has no leash law.
    "All dogs must be under control and must not be allowed to run at large. Dogs are personal property, and owners are responsible for damages caused by their dog."
    "Pennsylvania law requires that a dog must always be confined within the premises of the owner, firmly secured by a collar and chain (leash), OR must always be under the reasonable control of some person."

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast