Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default i have 2 questions please

. hey long time lurker ....... 1st time poster

...... i have looked on this board and other places but cant seem to find what i wanna know

1st ..... when carrying a longarm in a vechile ..... must it be cased? Can i have it out in the open like in a window gun rack??

2ndly ...... now that i can carry a pistol for defense while hunting , etc ...... does it HAVE to be conceled? ....... or can i wear it on my hip openly ..... yes i do have a ccw

......... and also ..... for those who may respond to my questions ..... in addition to your answear ...... could you also give a reason as to why you are giving that answear ............ a link to the law or something of the such would be nice so i can weed out any s.w.a.g's

(Tioga County)

Default Re: i have 2 questions please

First you need to answer a couple of questions.

How old are you?

Do you have a LTCF?

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post

...... i have looked on this board and other places but cant seem to find what i wanna know

1st ..... when carrying a longarm in a vechile ..... must it be cased? Can i have it out in the open like in a window gun rack??

2ndly ...... now that i can carry a pistol for defense while hunting , etc ...... does it HAVE to be conceled? ....... or can i wear it on my hip openly ..... yes i do have a ccw

......... and also ..... for those who may respond to my questions ..... in addition to your answear ...... could you also give a reason as to why you are giving that answear ............ a link to the law or something of the such would be nice so i can weed out any s.w.a.g's

hi ...... well ........ im in my 30's ........ and yes i do have a license to carry ......... thats the ccw i was talking about.

and my reference regarding carryin for protection while hunting ....... is as it relates to the bill our gov. fast eddie signed back in nov.

(Tioga County)

Need not be cased

AS you have your LTCF you can carry it concealed or open carry in the woods.

As to in a rack I don't know, I'll leave that one to the law dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post

(Philadelphia County)

1) We have a fairly long thread covering rifle/shotgun transport in vehicles here:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...transport.html

2) Carrying while hunting has been covered in this thread:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylva...e-hunting.html
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

thanks ...... i had already read those 2 threads you linked to previosly ..... but neither seemed to address my specific questions ................. i had also found a different thread in which a poster stated that longarms must be securly wrapped .......... which is what got me wondering if a rifle in a gun rack or lying open on the back seat was legal or not

............ and as i understand your post ....... while bow hunting .... with my license to carry .......... a pistol is lawful on hip in open carry and does not need to be conceled

....... i also found another thread where a poster claimed if you have an uncased long gun and ammo ""handy"" .......... it ""may"" be considered loaded
    Last edited by WMG; March 20th, 2007 at 01:18 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

The key here is the difference in the definition of the word "loaded" from what the average person understands it to mean and the legal definition of the term "loaded" under PA law.

The statute says:

§ 6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms.

(a) General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
    So if we look to 6102 where those terms are defined we see:

"Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.
    What I read that to mean is this:

If you are transporting a firearm in your vehicle: Keep the gun unloaded (as we define it), keep detachable magazines unloaded, and keep any ammunition in a completely separate container from the firearm itself.

One thing I must admit I am confused about in reading this statute is the reference to "The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license)" and whether that means persons with a permit are exempted, or only persons who are exempted from needing a permit (cops, etc) are exempted.

Keep in mind this is not legal advice, this is just my personal, non-lawyer, best understanding of the statutes.
    Last edited by danp; March 20th, 2007 at 01:39 PM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    keep detachable magazines unloaded
    i don't read it as needing to keep detachable magazines unloaded. i read it to say you just need to keep them in a separate container (or a separate compartment in the case of a container with multiple compartments) from the gun.

certainly, keeping detachable magazines unloaded will make it even more obvious that you are complying with the law, but i don't see how the law says you have to.

personally, i keep most of my magazines loaded all the time...if for no other reason than it's a convenient way to store ammo. also, for SHTF purposes, it is good to have a bunch of loaded magazines ready to go (not that we are ever likely to run into a SHTF situation where you would need a bunch of loaded magazines).

i don't unload my magazines before driving to the range. i just keep them in a separate container from my guns.

(ETA: this applies to long guns. since i have an LTCF, i don't worry about keeping magazines in the same container as my pistols.)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; March 20th, 2007 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks , I already understand what is considered loaded by the law ........ i was only pointing out that statement because the person who made it was talking about uncased longarms ....... and cased or uncased ... or securly wrapped longarms .... is one of my questions

.......... i have found nothing saying my longarm must be cased or not ..... and always believed it didnt matter if it was in the open .......... then i come here ..... see these comments about cased/uncased longarms ........... and thought i should find out what the law is.

what i would like to see .... is someone tell me my longarm must be cased ....... and then point me to the wording of the law
    ....... actually i wouldnt want to see that ........ but i think yall get my point
    ........... better yet ...... show me where it says it doesnt matter ......... yes i understand it may be that by default ............. but i wont know it is legal by default ..... unless i am sure it does not exist as law
    .......... i am just goin shut my mouth now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast