Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default What combo safes have OK steel under $1500?

I've been debating the safe/cabinet topic for some time and several recent events suggest the need for a legitimate safe, but I haven't seen anything that quite fits the bill just yet. Most of my research is leaning either towards 'what not to buy' or 'thousands over my budget'. Found a handful of options from TSC and privately (Stack On Elite, Mesa, Liberty USA series) that seem sorta OK, but look like they emphasize fire protection over steel thickness.

Are there any offerings with combination locks, long lugs and decently thick gauge steel that are under $1,000? Under $1,500? Combo lock is a must in my mind, and the thicker the steel body and longer the lugs the better. Capacity is very negotiable from 10-???, and I know the saying about buying more than you need . And fire protection is preferred, but not mandatory (unfinished cement surroundings, and I'm 1 mile from the fire station). Oh, and no stairs to worry about with a move. Not necessarily looking for un-breachable, not looking for 70 gun capacity, just looking for something that is tougher than average.

Or is it a pipe dream on my end at that price?

TiA, RR

(Indiana County)

Default Re: What combo safes have OK steel under $1500?

Personally, I'd find a GSA-Approved safe with a Class 5 rating. Combo lock would be a mechanical Sergeant & Greenleaf version (combination can be changed with a key).

With a mechanical combo lock you don't have to worry about the battery going dead.

(Berks County)

The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Lehigh County)

I have a Cabelas 27 gun safe that's actually a Liberty Franklin series and is registered with and guaranteed by Liberty. They put them on sale occasionally and I think I paid about $1699 for mine but Cabelas gives a 5% veterans discount so it puts it in your price range. It has an 8M10 rating, whatever that is, and 75 minute fire protection at 1200 deg. I think it's a pretty good bang for the buck.

This is the one. Look for it to go on sale if you have time.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...6.uts?slotId=8
    Last edited by oldengineer; March 14th, 2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Add Content
    NRA Life Member

(Susquehanna County)

$1000 dollar range you cannot go wrong with a Liberty.. look on Facebook Marketplace and you can often find slightly used ones..

The Cannon safes at TSC are a good deal - when on sale! but I would take a Used Liberty over a new TSC Cannon safe for quality.

Look on Facebook Marketplace.. here is a nice Liberty in Wellsboro PA https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2279534079054/
    Last edited by Parrisk; March 14th, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    $1000 dollar range you cannot go wrong with a Liberty.. look on Facebook Marketplace and you can often find slightly used ones..

The Cannon safes at TSC are a good deal - when on sale! but I would take a Used Liberty over a new TSC Cannon safe for quality.
    I looked at Canon at TSC before I went to Cabelas and got mine. World of difference in quality IMO. The door on the floor model at TSC wobbled. My better one has 14 active bolts. One thing though - mine does have the S&G electronc lock but it's the better quality one and I have had no problems with it.
    NRA Life Member

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    I looked at Canon at TSC before I went to Cabelas and got mine. World of difference in quality IMO. The door on the floor model at TSC wobbled. My better one has 14 active bolts. One thing though - mine does have the S&G electronc lock but it's the better quality one and I have had no problems with it.
    TSC Cannon are ok when on sale.. I got a Big and Wide (60x48x24 approx.) with interior lighting, USB and alarm wiring for $899 on sale.. not really worth the $1299 regular price.

Great to keep methheads and teenagers out
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Lancaster County)

Realistically anything at that price point will have a bomb proof door and hinges...with thin walls. So pick one that you like and don't ask it to do more than it was designed for.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Realistically anything at that price point will have a bomb proof door and hinges...with thin walls. So pick one that you like and don't ask it to do more than it was designed for.
    thats the way to go then just build around it or situate in where the sides are protected.

(Allegheny County)

Buying a gun safe all depends on what you want to protect against. Any safe can be opened depending on the skill of the thief, tools available, and time allotted for the thief to work on the safe without discovery.

Here are the risks and protection levels I feel are appropriate for this discussion lowest to highest:

1. To help protect guns from unauthorized family and kids - most basic protection - an inexpensive non-fireproof safe with a mechanical or digital lock - $100-$200
    2. To help protect guns from above and fire - same as above but fire rated $500+
    3. To help protect guns from typical B&E (crack heads) and the above -midrange safe 300-600 pounds - fire rated - $800-$1000 (I'd stick with a mechanical lock)
    4. To help protect against B&E (seasoned criminal) and the above - upper range safe (main stream vendors) $1200-$3000

You can harden any safe above by:
    -Bolting it to the floor and wall and/or putting it in a closet (to limit maneuverability of the thief for forced opening).
    -Lock up your power tools
    -Add a security system.
    -You can buy a remote camera system to send you an alert to your cell phone when any noise or movement is detected in the area of your safe. They also have the capability to record the event. Look at NEST: https://nest.com/cameras/nest-cam-indoor/overview/)
    - Lastly and maybe most importantly, insure your guns so that if they are stolen, or lost in a fire, you can at least recuperate their value. Insurance is pretty cheap, $100 a year for approx. $15K of coverage: Look at: https://www.collectinsure.com
    Last edited by Hawk; March 14th, 2019 at 12:24 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast