Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Colt Gold Cup Trophy or Kimber Gold Match?

Hey guys! Give me your opinions here.

I know this debate rages on every gun forum on the internet. I’m wondering if any of you have these guns and can offer your opinions.

I’m looking for a nice 1911. I’m between two: a Colt Gold Cup Trophy (newer model probably Series 80) and a Kimber Gold Match (appears to be series one since there is no “Series II” designation.)
    Both are blue, not stainless. Both are used. Both are about the same price: $8xx.

I know guys who like Kimbers because they’re Kimbers. “The best there is”. Have they ever compared a Colt to a Kimber side by side? I doubt it.

I’ve known collectors who have Colt National Matches, Gold Cups, and Trophies because they’re Colts. There’s no question in their mind that Colts are the best. Everyone else’s is a copy.

I’ve never shot a 1911 and have only held a few. Even the Taurus felt fine to me at the shop. I’m not confusing the question with other makes. I’ve considered Springfields, S&Ws, etc., but keep coming back to Colts and Kimbers. It seems that I’ve been finding a lot of used Kimbers out there lately.

I know that I might be opening a can of worms here. The Colt vs Kimber debate is always very controversial.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Colt Gold Cup Trophy or Kimber Gold Match?

If it's going to be a "shooter", don't buy the Colt. Gold Cups are set up for "softball loads" and some of them have a non-standard trigger.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    If it's going to be a "shooter", don't buy the Colt. Gold Cups are set up for "softball loads" and some of them have a non-standard trigger.
    Tony if after all the rounds I have sent down with five or six of series 70 Gold Cups you are telling that you shouldn't buy a Colt if you want a "shooter".
    I have found that my Gold Cups are better shooters, less problematic, and have a nicer trigger than any Kimber I own. I have no problems shooting my Gold Cups.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    Tony if after all the rounds I have sent down with five or six of series 70 Gold Cups you are telling that you shouldn't buy a Colt if you want a "shooter".
    Just Gold Cups.

I have found that my Gold Cups are better shooters, less problematic, and have a nicer trigger than any Kimber I own. I have no problems shooting my Gold Cups.
    Gold Cups are (or were) set up at the factory to shoot 185gr semi wadcutters at about 750fps and they shipped with the appropriate (10# - 12#) recoil spring weight.

Maybe Colt has changed the format but yours being series 70's if I were you I would check the recoil spring weights in your pistols.

(Berks County)

Just Gold Cups.

Gold Cups are (or were) set up at the factory to shoot 185gr semi wadcutters at about 750fps and they shipped with the appropriate (10# - 12#) recoil spring weight.

Maybe Colt has changed the format but yours being series 70's if I were you I would check the recoil spring weights in your pistols.
    On my Gold Cup Trophy they come with two recoil springs, one for ball ammo and another one for lighter loads...

Yes the Gold Cup comes with a wider trigger, not the milspec skinny one but for me that wider trigger does come in handy, just watch your leather or kydex selection and you should be good to go.

Yes both the Kimber and the Colt have had production issues, but I would take a Colt first over a Kimber. I have a major problem with extractors bad out of the box and their famous FTF jams from the craptastic mags that Kimber likes to issue.

just sayin...........
    gotta love her ;)

(Westmoreland County)

Kimber. IMO, once the recommended break-in is completed on a Kimber, you find yourself with a high-end 1911 without spending high-end money. Right now it is a used 1911 buyers market. I am seeing a lot of nice used 1911's filtering into gun shop display cases...and lately it's for two big reasons. First, the economy is ugly and Christmas is upon us, so many owners are looking to thin their collections in order to have needed cash in their pockets. The second (and maybe the biggest) reason is the fear that Obama will enact a ban, so some 1911's are being traded in for AR's, AK's, High Capacity Magazines, High Capacity Handguns, etc... A 7 shot 1911 is not hard to find during a high capacity ban. Another reason you may see more used Kimbers for sale than others is the fact that they sell considerably more 1911's than any other manufacturer. According to ATF statistics, Kimber makes more 1911's than Colt, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Springfield, and S&W combined. The same holds true when you look at reliability issues... which accounts for why you may hear more complaints from the Kimber owners than from Colt owners. For an example, if 1% of all manufactured 1911's were produced with issues, then Kimber's 1% would represent more pistols than Colt's 1% due to the fact that Kimber sells 60,000 1911's per year compared to Colt's 15,000 per year. (Just For Example Only)

(Montgomery County)

... If the Kimber is a Non series II ... it is a no brainer. Get the Kimber.

I have a Clackmas (relatively low numbered) that is a DREAM to shoot...followed by my series II TLE II.

One thing I found... kimber mags are not all that great.... which is why I have PLENTY of wilson Combat Mags.

If you do not purchase...let me know, and I may be interested in the Series I (non Series II) for the 8xx dollars.

(Mercer County)

Just Gold Cups.

The recoil springs have been changed in all my Gold Cups and yes I was aware what the Gold Cups were set up to shoot the semi-wadcutters, these Colts were not purchased for self defense but for target shooting.

Also, I change recoil springs in all my 1911 pattern pistols after a certain round count----the round count for the recoil springs are governed by the ammo that are fired in the pistols.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Since the original Kimbers aren't available new anymore I'd jump on the Kimber.
    That being said, provided the GCT is one of the better fit ones then either of these 1911's would be a great choice.
    I shoot Gold Cup's a good bit and have yet to have one break or fail me due to use. I have had one that was a lemon, it's since been corrected.
    I run factory 230 ball ammo and lighter handloads in mine with no problems. I keep a 16 pound spring in mine and change it when it starts getting shorter.
    "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

(Susquehanna County)

If you want a long service, accurate, Bullseye pistol for stand up NRA type conventional pistol competition. The answer is NEITHER.

If a Bullseye pistol is what you want go to a Pistolsmith that can build one for you and guarantee the results. Jim Clark is no longer with us, but he trained his son who now has the business. Check Clark Custom Guns on the web or see what a "semi-custom" shop like Les Baer can offer. Baer will guarantee his gun shoot a 21/2" 50 yd. group or for an additional fee 11/2". See http://www.lesbaer.com/comp.html

BTW one thing you don't want is a Series 80 style trigger! I GUARANTEE that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast