Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Thumbs down Range report SR 118

I just made my maden trip to the state range on Patla Rd. Talk about disapointed. It takes a lot of effort to take 3 months to take something from fair to bad.

For those who have never been there
    There used to be 3 sections now ther are only 2.

the first range located to the right (sight in/ Pistol).
    the old set up had 2 banks of targets one at 25 yards and the other was at i think 12 or 15 yards. now both banks are at 25 yards.
    The new distance discourages new pistol shooters.
    Also the bank of targets that have been moved no longer lign up the the table that is mounted in the ground for the shooters use. The target s are offset by about 6-8 feet (or 2 or 3 lanes).

Moving to the left.

The main rifle range.
    the 2 remaining ranges have been consolidated.
    the range furthest to the left used to have handicaped parking has been eliminated. the left entrance is now the entrance to a ramp that goes to the main rifle area. formerly you could park 2 or 3 cars in the handicaped area now you can park one in a parking space and any others would be on the ramp. In the main rifle range there are 3 banks of targets. I am guessing 100, 75 and 50 yards. There are seat /tables like there were before. However ther are at leat 2 tables that have no seats on either side. I am assuming they are for handicaped access. These tables are basicly usless unless you are in a wheelchair or bring you own chair. There are only about 14 lanes and 4 are minimaly useful due to the lack of seats. I am not against making things handicapped accessable. However, I think another layout may have been more useful. 4 handicaped shooting spots but only 1 parking space? what about if we just put backs on all the seats and then the seats could be used by everyone.

there are also now some concrete pads around the tables at the rifle side which I am guessing is also to help with the ADA compliance.

There is no concrete in the pistol/ sight in area where it would be very helpful to assist with picking up your brass.

Again, I am in now way downing people with disabalities. I think making shooting more accessible to everyone is great. The more suporters the better.

My point is that this seems to be little improvement. It took a LONG time and it seems some things changed for the worse not the better.

Last i checked the PaGC website is still listing the opening date of the Bear Creek as a late October, do they mean late October 2009? The range there was small and poorly equiped before it closed. There were no dedicated pistol lanes there before so I assume there wil not be one now.

Also, I thought they were adding covered pavilions over the shooting positions.

In closing I was EXTREMELY disapointed.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Range report SR 118

My opinon was quite similar. They did a poor job with this range. If anything they should have expanded the handgun part of the range.

I was also displeased they did away with the 15yd pistol back stop. Like you said, kind of hard to teach new handgun shooters when you have to start them at 25yds.

But, like other things the PGC could care less what people think. Some overpaid geek probably sat down with his box of crayons and drew up these "new and improved" ranges.

The rifle range I can live with, but the pistol side????? My wife and I used to love coming out to this range. The drive from WB wasn't a problem because it was a nice range.

(Luzerne County)

Was is the key word.
    I don"t mind driving a distance and waiting in lin for a good meal. but to drive a long way and wait in line for a hockey puck between 2 pieces of cardboard is not a thrilling experience , especially one I would not like to repeat.

I just keep hoping santa brings me an indoor range close by for Christmas.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Luzerne County)

Thumbs down Re: Range report SR 118

I was there on Friday and yes I have to say is is BAD. After waiting for the range to be fixed up what a let down

(Luzerne County)

When I was there it seemed that they may have not been 100% finished with the pistol range. On the other side of the new "mound" to the riight side there was still plenty of room to put in a 15 yard pistol range. mabye they are trying to seperate the shorter & longer?
    - Big D
    I am looking for SIG ST Series pistols. Please PM me if you have one you would like to sell.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    My opinon was quite similar. They did a poor job with this range. If anything they should have expanded the handgun part of the range.

I was also displeased they did away with the 15yd pistol back stop. Like you said, kind of hard to teach new handgun shooters when you have to start them at 25yds.

But, like other things the PGC could care less what people think. Some overpaid geek probably sat down with his box of crayons and drew up these "new and improved" ranges.

The rifle range I can live with, but the pistol side????? My wife and I used to love coming out to this range. The drive from WB wasn't a problem because it was a nice range.
    I agree with Steve. It comes down to the PAGC are a bunch of idiots with poor management and engineering skills. What the hell are they doing with license fees. They need to put more money into ranges especially in the luzerne county area.
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!