Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Cool My first LEO encounter

Well, I have lurked around this forum for months without posting, but after reading about some of the other members terrible experiences with LEO's I though I would share mine. I traveled to the Butler area (North western PA) for the weekend, from Philly, to visit with family and managed to get clocked going 71mph in a 55 on Rt 422. Needless to say, I had a chance to meet some of Pa's finest. As soon as the trooper approached the car the first question that he asked was if there were any weapons in the car, to which I indicated that there were indeed two, one on my hip and another in my briefcase on the passenger seat. He asked if he could have them both for our safety, and so after handing him the one on me, he walked to the other side of the car and got the one out of my briefcase. He then came back for my license, registration, etc., and told me that he had pulled me over for speeding. He returned to his car and all I could think about was some of the horror stories that you fellas have shared and hoped I wasn't about to experience the same.

After about ten mins, he came back with my firearms unloaded and handed them both to me and asked if I would put them in my briefcase, which I did. He then handed my both loaded magazines (I might add that he even put the round that was in the chamber back in the magazine) and told me that I was free to reload my firearms and re-holster if I so desired but that he wanted me to wait until after he left. He then apologized for disarming me but said jokingly you can never be too careful when you giving someone a ticket!. After handing me my ticket for speeding he told me to be careful and also that he wasn't sure if it was legal to carry a loaded firearm in Philly! After a brief conversation about preemption he told me he was glad to hear it because if "you needed a pistol anywhere for protection in this state, it would definitly be Philadelphia". I thanked him for handling the situation so professionally and that was it....No arrests, no gun confiscation, no problems (other than the speeding ticket of course!) So I figured that I would let you all know that in the western side of the state the Troopers seem to have everything figured out!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: My first LEO encounter

Quote Originally Posted by boardoms@yahoo.com View Post
    He asked if he could have them both for our safety, and so after handing him the one on me, he walked to the other side of the car and got the one out of my briefcase.
    He asked you or he ordered you?

Is this SOP in PA for traffic stop? Are you required to comply? Was this a trooper or a local?

And he unloaded your firearms? Was he trained in the operation of your model of firearm? Make sure he didn't damage anything.

I guess the fact that you were speeding takes away any rights you have with regard to CC of firearms.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Philadelphia County)

He was a state trooper, and it was an order. I'm not sure if it's standard or not, but it is how it happened. There was no damage to either of them.

<snip>
    No arrests, no gun confiscation, no problems (other than the speeding ticket of course!)
    Actually I would say he did confiscate your guns...at least temporarily.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Actually I would say he did confiscate your guns...at least temporarily.
    I tend to agree.

Wouldn't the leo be in as much danger giving you a ticket if you decided to get mad and run him over with your nice safe car?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

He asked if he could have them both for our safety, and so after handing him the one on me, he walked to the other side of the car and got the one out of my briefcase.
    He was a state trooper, and it was an order. I'm not sure if it's standard or not, but it is how it happened. There was no damage to either of them.
    So did he ask or order you? You have stated both???
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Philadelphia County)

Guess I never really thought of it that way... how would you have handled it differnetly? Just tell him no he can't have my guns and see what happens? Whats the best thing to do in a situation like mine? To be honest I thought it went as well as could be expected.

(Bedford County)

I am pretty sure that you did not have to answer the question about if you had a firearm in your car. The LEO has no right to take your firearms from you for "his" protection. you have just as much right to be protected as he does. try askinh him for his.
    this is I believe a 4Th amendment violation. IANAL but i would have not told him about them or handed them to him. IMOA I would have tried to keep the conversation about why he pulled me over. you carrying was not why he pulled you over.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    So did he ask or order you? You have stated both???
    I posted it the second time for clarification. He told me he was going to take them, so it was an order in my opionion. Sorry for the confusion

(Venango County)

If you want to get on your way, that is the best way to handle it.

If you want to make a point, and I think you would have every right to, it could wind you up on the hot seat, at least temporarily.

I would have been curious and outright asked him if he ran the s/n? He has no justification for that if he did. And besides, there being no registration and all...

You are not required to announce that you are armed. Some believe it is considerate/courtesy to offer the info. Some would not, some would only inform if it looked like they were about to be 'searched'.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast