I'm sure everyone is aware of the proposed legislation called HR1022 which seeks to reinstate the Clinton era ban and add to it significantly. Although pundits claim that HR1022 may never get to the floor for a vote, all avid gun enthusiasts should not discount this current Congress's ability or willingness to attempt to erode the 2nd Amendment. Interestingly, the Democrats proposed this bill immediately after taking control of the Congress.

Personally, I own a number of rifles and pistols which would be banned under the terms of this legislation. More dangerous still is the wording of the document which would arbitrarily allow the AG to determine which rifles or pistols would be blacklisted.

Obviously, only the strongest public reaction and lobbying by the NRA and other pro-gun groups should be given to our 'public representatives' to make sure this bill doesn't see the light of day. In accordance with this NRA supported position, I contacted my Representative, Patrick Murphy (a Democrat). His reply is quoted below:

Thank you for contacting me in support of maintaining the rights of gun owners. As you probably know, I personally hold a concealed-carry permit and I am a strong supporter of upholding the 2nd amendment. You can rest assured that when legislation involving gun-owner rights comes up before Congress, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

I am also an enthusiastic supporter of hunters and hunting. This session I am co-sponsoring a bill originated by Congressman Phil Gingrey (R-GA) recognizing the contributions of Hunters for the Hungry and related organizations in the charitable donation of surplus game to the needy among us. I feel that this type of organization is especially valuable since it protects gun owners' rights by fighting the unfair characterization of gun owners that sometimes happens in the today's media. You can learn more about Hunters for the Hungry on the National Rifle Association's web site:

http://www.nrahq.org/hunting/hunterhungry.asp

On February 13th of this year I joined the Congressional Sportsman's Caucus. Prompted by the increasing frequency and alarming success of attacks on hunting, fishing, and the shooting sports, the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus was founded in 1989 to protect the interests of America's sportsmen and women. Today, the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus is one of the largest and most influential in Congress. The bipartisan group operates under the leadership of Caucus Co-Chairs Sen. Mike Crapo (R-ID) and Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI), who indicated "We have an aggressive legislative agenda and we will work hard to push our priorities." I look forward to helping them defend sportsmen's rights.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I value such correspondence and take seriously the concerns of my constituents. To stay informed of my work, or to sign up for my electronic newsletters, please visit my Web site at www.house.gov/patrickmurphy. Also, please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can help in any way. You can reach my office in Doylestown at (215) 348-1194 and my office in Bristol at (215) 826-1963.
Sincerely,

Patrick Murphy

I urge everyone to contact their representatives to show unity against this bill and not to rely on others to protect their 2nd Amendment rights. Please also post the replies you receive from your congressmen so that we have a record should this issue ever come up for a vote. Then we can see if they just talk the talk.