Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Passing thru NJ?

I'm planning a trip to south PA. I"m licensed to carry, live in PA and have a trip planned. The route shows me starting in PA and going into NJ and back into PA. Is it possible to have my firearm with me legally?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Passing thru NJ?

Quote Originally Posted by rickwhoo View Post
    I'm planning a trip to south PA. I"m licensed to carry, live in PA and have a trip planned. The route shows me starting in PA and going into NJ and back into PA. Is it possible to have my firearm with me legally?
    i believe the restriction is it cannot be accessible in the passenger compartment, ie in the trunk unloaded for NJ. if you drive a truck or something else without a trunk the ammo and gun must be in a locked container and the glovebox and console dont count. but some of the lawyers on here might have more legally accurate answer.

I would take a different route that doesn't take you through PRNJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Montgomery County)

If you're in Moscow, you are close to the NE Extension. That will get you to SE PA and there are other highways that intersect to get you farther West. I don't see why you would need to go into NJ.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    I would take a different route that doesn't take you through PRNJ.
    Agree.

(Berks County)

IANAL so i won't try to advise you on what I think is required but I wouldn't risk PRNJ and a gun of any sort. Just possessing a hollow point over there is a life changing event.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I can't see any geographical reason to cross the Delaware to get from anywhere in PA to somewhere in south PA. I live in NJ just over the border. So my first suggestion is take a different route and don't cross into NJ.

But if you insist, transporting any firearm in NJ without a NEW JERSEY CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT requires the firearm to be unloaded, cased, and in the trunk of the car. In the case of a SUV the case(s) should be locked, in the rear of the SUV and out of sight. DO NOT have a firearm in the driver's compartment/area.

DO NOT under any circumstance bring hollow point ammunition into New Jersey. Having it while driving for pleasure is a crime in and of itself.
    "You gotta be alive to get paid."

(Dauphin County)

Everyone is referencing FOPA, which allows for interstate transport through hostile territory, yes. But FOPA indicates starting in one place (State A), passing thru hostile places (State B-C ), and ending in a third place (State D), where you are legally allowed to possess and carry. It is questionable
    that FOPA allows the ending place to be the same as the starting place. I would not risk it. Pick another route.

ETA: The above italicized and red is apparently incorrect. See post #20 https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...23#post4769923
    Last edited by ROCK-IT3; April 20th, 2023 at 07:55 PM.

Your mapping system is failing you miserably.

As DK suggested the easiest way would be to get to Moosic and the NE Extension (I476) interchange, then south to Plymouth Meeting, If you have to go further into the SE, take the Blue Route (also known as I-476) south.

If you're inclined to share your ultimate destination in SE PA, we can give you further guidance on roads to avoid - particularly if you're planning on going closer to Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    If you're in Moscow, you are close to the NE Extension. That will get you to SE PA and there are other highways that intersect to get you farther West. I don't see why you would need to go into NJ.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Everyone is referencing FOPA, which allows for interstate transport through hostile territory, yes. But FOPA indicates starting in one place (State A), passing thru hostile places (State B-C ), and ending in a third place (State D), where you are legally allowed to possess and carry. It is questionable
    that FOPA allows the ending place to be the same as the starting place. I would not risk it. Pick another route.
    I don't see how that's a problem. He's still starting ending where he's legal. Still, as others recommend, just avoid Jersey entirely.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast