Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Passing thru NJ?

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    IMO:

A firearm transport from a point in state A to another point in state A with a route reasonable through state B would be considered an "interstate" trip for FOPA purposes:

The FOPA 926A protection would not apply while in state A but only while in state B.
    (see the report - FOPA transport protection in states of origin/destination - UNLIKELY [A Report] and, in particular, the quotes from the Congressional Record).
    This is also my understanding. The start and end state don't necessarily have to be different, though typically they are.

But as everyone else said .. why even bother opening yourself to risk, especially for questionable federal protections of the mag and ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    With the current PA Turnpike pricing, it should only be used if absolutely necessary...

$24.90 toll by plate, $12.10 EZ Pass.
    $24/12 is better than going into NJ. However, there are other ways to get down here without going into NJ. All depends on his final destination.

rt209 is the last veritcal before you hit the border.
    i'd sooner drive dead on the speed limit through the federal park than cross to NJ.
    i live along the murky river, there's always a way to easily avoid the eastern bank.

simply, the river is there for a reason. the bridges are an affront to god and there is absolutely no reason to cross.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    If you're in Moscow, you are close to the NE Extension. That will get you to SE PA and there are other highways that intersect to get you farther West. I don't see why you would need to go into NJ.
    The fastest and shortest route has me going into NJ. I was just curious to see if I could unload it, put the gun in my trunk and ammo in the glove box or console.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Call the NJ State Police and ask them and give them your route and days for travel. I'm sure they will gladly help you.

That pic was from Morrisville (well, on the bridge next to Morrisville) a few years back, right?

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    If you're in Moscow, you are close to the NE Extension. That will get you to SE PA and there are other highways that intersect to get you farther West. I don't see why you would need to go into NJ.
    Assuming the trip is to lower bucks County or Philadelphia, just take 380 south to 80 east, to 33 south, to 78 to either 611 or 309 south. There's actually less highway in New Jersey than the above Pennsylvania route.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Your mapping system is failing you miserably.

As DK suggested the easiest way would be to get to Moosic and the NE Extension (I476) interchange, then south to Plymouth Meeting, If you have to go further into the SE, take the Blue Route (also known as I-476) south.

If you're inclined to share your ultimate destination in SE PA, we can give you further guidance on roads to avoid - particularly if you're planning on going closer to Philly.
    I agree! I've driven just about everywhere in PA. and I can't think of any route from one part of PA to another that you would have to go through New Jersey. The worst trip I made through PA was when my father who was very geographically challenged kept on me to take my brother back to college when I left Erie for Endicott, NY. We left at 4 PM for Waynesburg College, I dropped him off, headed east on the Turnpike, then up I-81 to Binghamton, NY, then back west on 17 to Endicott. I made it in time to stop home, change and go to work.
    Oh, this was before I-79 was completed, too. I usually drove NY 17 to Endicott from Erie, before the Southern Tier Expressway was built,
    and also took Rt. 6 a few times. Also went to Hershey, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Philadelphia, Chambersburg all several times and drove the length of I-80. I never went through New Jersey once.

(Chester County)

As a strictly theoretical discussion, if someone had a firearm, loaded or not, large mag or not, hollow points or not, in a locked briefcase on the front seat and were pulled over in NJ for a traffic violation, could the LEO legally search the locked briefcase without the person's permission? Assuming no RAS, PC etc. And if the LEO made up a bs reason for the search and discovered the firearm, would the discovery be admissible in court? Not recommending this course of action, of course, just questioning how this would play out legally.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    Worth reading item 13 in this FAQ below. I keep a copy with me at all times when carrying.

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

25 seems pretty straightforward.

Can I travel through New Jersey with my firearms?

Yes. With no unreasonable deviations from your travels you may drive through New Jersey with any type firearm or ammunition. If New Jersey is the State of destination, then the firearms must be legal in this State.

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    As a strictly theoretical discussion, if someone had a firearm, loaded or not, large mag or not, hollow points or not, in a locked briefcase on the front seat and were pulled over in NJ for a traffic violation, could the LEO legally search the locked briefcase without the person's permission? Assuming no RAS, PC etc. And if the LEO made up a bs reason for the search and discovered the firearm, would the discovery be admissible in court? Not recommending this course of action, of course, just questioning how this would play out legally.
    Probable cause?

'That looks like a gun case right there on your seat...'

I'd say largely NO though, but you could end up with a legal battle depending on several factors.

(Bucks County)

Problem with NJ is the PD is going to let it be decided by the judge so IF it is seen/found, you WILL face a substantial delay getting back to your intended destination

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast