Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Passing thru NJ?

I wouldn't bring an empty range bag ar an unused target into the PRNJ.

I lived there the first half of my life. I know how the cops and their "legal system" work.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    I don't see how that's a problem. He's still starting ending where he's legal. Still, as others recommend, just avoid Jersey entirely.
    If that is the case, then anyone ought to be able to transport a firearm into NJ for any reason, even to commute to work, so long as the firearm is properly stored. The text says "from any place...to any OTHER place....

We have had the discussion here before, and the consensus has been, starting and ending in the same state is a VERY gray area. Hopefully gnbrotz chimes in, I believe he is versed in the subject.

ETA: The above italicized and red is apparently incorrect. See post #20 https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...23#post4769923
    Last edited by ROCK-IT3; April 20th, 2023 at 07:59 PM.

(Chester County)

Call the NJ State Police and ask them and give them your route and days for travel. I'm sure they will gladly help you.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Your mapping system is failing you miserably.

As DK suggested the easiest way would be to get to Moosic and the NE Extension (I476) interchange, then south to Plymouth Meeting, If you have to go further into the SE, take the Blue Route (also known as I-476) south.

If you're inclined to share your ultimate destination in SE PA, we can give you further guidance on roads to avoid - particularly if you're planning on going closer to Philly.
    With the current PA Turnpike pricing, it should only be used if absolutely necessary...

$24.90 toll by plate, $12.10 EZ Pass.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Delaware County)

Just stay out. If you must be careful. NJ mag limit is 10 and FOPA does not cover mags or hollow points.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    Just stay out. If you must be careful. NJ mag limit is 10 and FOPA does not cover mags or hollow points.
    And those are two great reasons to stay on the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware Water Gap! NJ doesn't use the term "felony" but hollowpoint possession beyond the "exemptions" allowed by the state is basically a felony. And Murphy loves to advertise how "good" his gun laws are at the expense of gun owners.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    If that is the case, then anyone ought to be able to transport a firearm into NJ for any reason, even to commute to work, so long as the firearm is properly stored. The text says "from any place...to any OTHER place....

We have had the discussion here before, and the consensus has been, starting and ending in the same state is a VERY gray area. Hopefully gnbrotz chimes in, I believe he is versed in the subject.
    I know there was a very detailed discussion regarding FOPA protection when only two states were in play, when one was the origin, and the other the destination. I vaguely remember a discussion similar to this when the same state were both origin and destination, and a "hostile" state were passed through mid-trip. Based solely on the wording of FOPA, it seems to me that protection should apply. It doesn't specify "states", only that one be able to lawfully possess and carry at the beginning and endpoints of their trip, and that applies in the proposed scenario. I will happily defer to any comments tl_3237 has on this proposed trip, as he has researched far more deeply than I.

I do agree with the many that suggested simply changing the planned route to remain in PA for the trip as the easiest 'safe' solution. Barring that, I would observe traffic laws, as well as decline to answer questions and refuse to permit a search were I somehow thrust into an unexpected LEO encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    IANAL so i won't try to advise you on what I think is required but I wouldn't risk PRNJ and a gun of any sort. Just possessing a hollow point over there is a life changing event.
    For out-of-staters, yes. For residents, hollowpoints are legal to both buy and possess within certain limitations: https://tinyurl.com/262egppq
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

Risk of getting 'made' by LE with a concealed firearm during a brief in-out trip to NJ is minuscule. Given those odds I would totally roll the dice.

In unrelated news, recreational weed is legal in NJ, so feel free to imbibe in public.

Worth reading item 13 in this FAQ below. I keep a copy with me at all times when carrying.

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Chester County)

IMO:

A firearm transport from a point in state A to another point in state A with a route reasonable through state B would be considered an "interstate" trip for FOPA purposes:
    18 USC §921. Definitions
    (a) As used in this chapter-
    (2) The term "interstate or foreign commerce" includes commerce between any place in a State and any place outside of that State, or within any possession of the United States (not including the Canal Zone) or the District of Columbia, but such term does not include commerce between places within the same State but through any place outside of that State.The term "State" includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone).
    {FOPA} 18 USC §926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    The FOPA 926A protection would not apply while in state A but only while in state B.
    (see the report - FOPA transport protection in states of origin/destination - UNLIKELY [A Report] and, in particular, the quotes from the Congressional Record).
    IANAL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast