I handled it in person, and own a 10/22 take down with the mentioned Magpul stock. The stocks are similar, I did not like the forend as much as I like the Magpul-but I like blocky fits my hand well. I have several of their hunter stocks on riffles and really like them. I say the savage stock feels cheaper, and that makes sense to me. The barrel and action appeared to be good quality which is generally my opinion of Savage, I do feel like were they cut corners to get the price down is the stocks. They do make a Magpul stocked 10/22 not sure what pricing looks like. As mentioned the nice part of a 10-22 is they sell a lot of them, and they have a ton of accessories, if you like the convivence of the AR platform and how easy it is to work on, I would consider the 10/22 platform, Savage stuff is never as well supported. Sights on the savage also felt really big, and not to my tastes, I do like the barrel was threaded, this day and age every riffle should be threaded just about. The nice part of the Magpul stock is it fits together which makes it a great backpack gun in one piece- guessing Savage knew they get sued if they copied that.