Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Flying out of HIA with Firearms

Just an update for those who don't know. Recently took a vacation down to FL. Decided to bring a handgun and carry it down there as I've done in the past. Had the gun unloaded with an empty mag and a factory box of ammo all locked together in a pelican case inside my suitcase.

I get to the ticket counter at HIA, tell the person at the counter I had a firearm to declare. They asked to see it. I pull the pelican case out, unlock it, and let them look at it. They simply asked if it was unloaded. After telling them yes, they say lock it back up, and they put a round orange sticker on the case and you fill out a orange tag declaring it is unloaded and attach the tag to the gun case. I put the Pelican case back inside the suitcase and you take your bag over to the large/oversized items area and they take your bag and it gets scanned behind the scenes. You wait around just in case they want to see the firearm and you need to open the gun case for them. I was given the ok after a couple minutes and went on my way to my flight.

Flying out of OIA was the same effortless procedure. One item of note, I also have a TSA approved lock on my suitcace that held my clothes and the pelican case inside and that suitcase was opened and inspected at HIA as my lock and zippers were in a different position from where I put them. OIA did not open the suitcase for inspection.

I'll try and get a picture up of the pelican case I use with the labels in a bit.

(York County)

Default Re: Flying out of HIA with Firearms

Pelican 1170 plus a couple of keyed Masterlocks. Case is full of the foam you rip apart to fit your items. Not more than $40 all together I think it was. Holds my G21 or 30, mag and ammo.

Very good information. Thanks
    20 years USN - OSC

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post

Pelican 1170 plus a couple of keyed Masterlocks. Case is full of the foam you rip apart to fit your items. Not more than $40 all together I think it was. Holds my G21 or 30, mag and ammo.
    Last time i flew to Florida ( a few years back), the airline said the gun and ammo had to be in separate luggage so I had to stow the ammo in my wife's bag. On the return flight, I declared and no one looked at it.
    That may be an airline specific requirement.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Last time i flew to Florida ( a few years back), the airline said the gun and ammo had to be in separate luggage so I had to stow the ammo in my wife's bag. On the return flight, I declared and no one looked at it.
    That may be an airline specific requirement.
    You are right, that is an airline specific requirement. Frontier Airlines was good with everything together. The ammo just had to be in a factory box or something secure to keep the ammo from moving around. So it is prudent to read and print off a copy of the flying with firearms rules of the airline you are flying with. I had a copy with me just in case the agent wanted to give me a hard time.

The agent in Orlando didn't even want to look in my case either. He just said to tie the orange label to it.