Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Best CLP? Clean, Lubricate, Protect

I use Hoppe's No9 and Breakfree CLP. Bought a small container of Ballistol but haven't used it.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Bucks County)

I've been using Eezox for years.

https://www.eezox.com/
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Allegheny County)

My beef with "Break-Free CLP" is the packaging; it either leaks from the flip-top bottle, or over-sprays in a huge volume from the can, or is otherwise is a pain-in-the ass to use...

Can we not get it in precision oiler pens? Or, maybe we can now, and I just don't know it tonight...?

Oh, and can we get it so we don't have to "shake it" before use?

We put men on the moon when I was a kid, using (mostly) slide rules.

C'mon, dudes...at least improve the packaging/dispensing....

(Washington County)

We use Lyman Products Turbo Sonic Gun Parts Cleaning to clean the guns in the sonic cleaner, then use Lyman Turbo Sonic Gun Lube to finish the cleaning. Remember the rule, if you sonically clean, you must sonically lube. The bore is cleaned with Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Bore Cleaning Solvent. Few times a year we coat any wooden parts with Ballistol, but I just love the smell of that stuff for some reason.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I clean with cleaners and lube with lubricants.

I've been using synthetic non-detergent air compressor oil on guns for a few years now. Someone who is a gun guy and a lube engineer for a nuke plant told me it was ideal for gun oil. So far I have no complaints. I can't speak to the actual economics of it because I got a 5 gal bucket of it for cheap, but it doesn't disappear, it doesn't collect crud, and it keeps my suppressed and unsuppressed guns working. My one suppressed AR hasn't been cleaned in a couple years. I just keep throwing more oil at it.
    Can get a 16oz bottle from Home Depot for about $10.

Quote Originally Posted by djeuch View Post
    I've been using Eezox for years.

https://www.eezox.com/
    Same here. Eexox and CorrosionX are my two go-tos for gun cleaning and lube.

(Bradford County)

I've been fine with both break free CLP and with Mobil 1 for years. If we're talking about ARs, theyre not rocket science and I'm not going to spend an hour cleaning one every time I shoot, which is often even if just to run up into the back and pop off a hundred rounds or so at some steel. I also use Hoppes 9 in the bore now and then just to keep metallic crud from building and then I just lube the crap out of everyhitng inside w/ CLP or mobil 1. I stopped long ago breaking down the bolt for cleaning or scraping it or whatever. Carbon is not going to rust things up, it just looks dirty. Part of this is using decent quality ammo too. I don't treat these things like I'd treat a Weatherby; they're designed and meant to be used hard without being babied.
    Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

Quote Originally Posted by EFK View Post
    I've been fine with both break free CLP and with Mobil 1 for years. If we're talking about ARs, theyre not rocket science and I'm not going to spend an hour cleaning one every time I shoot, which is often even if just to run up into the back and pop off a hundred rounds or so at some steel. I also use Hoppes 9 in the bore now and then just to keep metallic crud from building and then I just lube the crap out of everyhitng inside w/ CLP or mobil 1. I stopped long ago breaking down the bolt for cleaning or scraping it or whatever. Carbon is not going to rust things up, it just looks dirty. Part of this is using decent quality ammo too. I don't treat these things like I'd treat a Weatherby; they're designed and meant to be used hard without being babied.
    The only guns that get cleaned after every range trip are black powder guns because it will rust the hell out of them overnight. I guess if I was shooting corrosive ammo through an AK or something I'd clean them right away, too. Otherwise, I just keep my guns lubed and only really clean them when I think they need it.

(Allegheny County)

Ballistol. Ick. Smells nasty. I like the IDEA of Ballistol, but it smells SO nasty.

I honestly don't overthink this stuff. Guns that were made a hundred years ago are still in use and none of the modern wonder oils existed for much of their operating lifetime.

I like Weapon Shield. Mostly because it smells good, but it seems to lube really well. Like Frank's Red Hot, "I use that shit on everything."
    (I do recall some saying that it's not ideal for super-cold weather use, but I never looked into it.

Last year I picked up a BUNCH of Lucas Oil Products Gun Oil and Extreme Duty Gun Oil. Advance Auto had $8 (I think) bottles on clearance for $1, so I got a bunch. It smells good too - nothing my wife will bitch about if I use it indoors.

When I die someone is going to end up with a lot of gun oil and CLP.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

I like the M-Pro 7 line of products.

http://m-pro7.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast