Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Pennsylvania May Restrict Mentored Youth Hunting

The Pennsylvania Game Commission may vote to remove deer and wild turkey from the state’s youth mentored hunting program when it meets next week.

The PGC agenda for the 1 p.m. EST Sunday, January 25 meeting shows the PGC wants to remove deer and turkey as being available to hunt for mentored youth under the age of 9, and only allow those young hunters to pursue squirrels, woodchucks and coyotes.

Currently, under the mentored program, youth under 12 – the age when a junior license can be obtained – can hunt under the direct supervision of an adult for squirrel, woodchuck, coyote, deer, and wild turkey.

The PGC will meet on January 26-27 to take action on this issue and other hunting regulation/season items.

Tom's News Item on Pennsylvania Record Book Buck 12-14 indexThe PGC notes it has “received extensive public comment regarding concern over the appropriateness of young children’s abilities to utilize high-powered firearms to harvest big game, as well as allegations of adults utilizing the harvest tags of mentored youth unlawfully.

Wildlife conservation officers have encountered evidence of the allegations in several enforcement operations this past hunting season.”

Pennsylvania mentored youth hunting supporter Harold Daub notes that age is not a sign of maturity, and it should be up to a parent or guardian to decide when a child is ready to hunt.

Daub wanted to meet with PGC’s commissioner Ronald Weaner before Sunday’s meeting, but Weaner declined.

Weaner responded on the “We Support The Mentored Youth Hunting Programs in Pennsylvania” Facebook page that the proposed changes are warranted.

“Mentored hunting can be done by children of any age, just not for deer or wild turkeys. Still possible for groundhogs, squirrels and coyotes.”

Weaner also noted, “if passed or amended, the proposal will be voted on again in April.”

Kathy Davis, chairman and CEO of “Hunters United For Sunday Hunting,” in Pennsylvania, says the proposed limits are uncalled for.
    http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/new...youth-hunting/
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Pennsylvania May Restrict Mentored Youth Hunting

Well every kid is different. But I thought it to be weird that a child coming out of the birthing canal was legally old enough to shoot a deer. May not be a bad thing to put a age on it. 9 is debatable
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Allegheny County)

Saw that on the local news. I haven't hunted in years so I had no idea. I still thought you had to be 12 like when I started hunting.

I guess the secret's out. Gonna be a hard sell to convince those who don't believe ANYONE should own a gun that a 6 year old should be allowed to "kill animals".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

It's called mentored youth for a reason

Let the family decide (mentor their youth), I'm sick of gov telling me what is best for my family and you should be too.
    Montani Semper Liberi

My significant other has the opportunity to be around groups of 8 and 9 year old kids daily. Many of them have indicated that they have gone hunting with dad, uncle, grandpa etc....as mentored youth. MANY of the stories included them shooting AT deer and having dad, uncle or grandpa "finish them off". I do not doubt that many go about this ALL wrong. They should be dealt with accordingly and give the rest of the youngsters the opportunity to fully experience the outdoors PA has to offer with a RESPONSIBLE MENTOR.
    Jules

(Perry County)

It's been working just fine for several years. Unfortunately, HSUS, PETA and grumpy old fudds have crawled into bed together to shut it down.

The grumpy old fudds are mad that kids are getting "their" deer before they do. They use anecdotal evidence that some folks abuse the mentored youth tags.

Apparently, some of the commissioners must have been very good at slobbing the knob because Corbett's administration removed a strong proponent of mentored youth hunting, Ralph Martone, a couple of days ago. Not fishy at all, getting ousted in the last days of an administration just prior to a contentious vote.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

-Stupid-ass, Farmer Greenjeans blue laws from the 19th century.
    -Made up from whole cloth "safety" issues with allowing semiautomatic weapons.
    -Moronic fair chase arguments against semiautomatics.

Lets throw mentored youth hunting onto the pile as well because of the possibility that a few carried away redneck fudd dickheads have used their youth tags criminally.

The Pa. hunting climate is a disgusting, corrupt, fuddpocalyspe.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Schuylkill County)

Well, I'll have a very disappointed grandson. He loves going hunting with his dad and myself.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    It's been working just fine for several years. Unfortunately, HSUS, PETA and grumpy old fudds have crawled into bed together to shut it down.

The grumpy old fudds are mad that kids are getting "their" deer before they do. They use anecdotal evidence that some folks abuse the mentored youth tags.

Apparently, some of the commissioners must have been very good at slobbing the knob because Corbett's administration removed a strong proponent of mentored youth hunting, Ralph Martone, a couple of days ago. Not fishy at all, getting ousted in the last days of an administration just prior to a contentious vote.
    Getting rid of Martone was the best thing that could happen for Pa hunters, he was largely responsible for reducing the deer herd down to almost nothing in many areas. I really don't see his leaving as "fishy" he has been serving on an extension since his term was up in October until they found a viable replacement.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Getting rid of Martone was the best thing that could happen for Pa hunters, he was largely responsible for reducing the deer herd down to almost nothing in many areas. I really don't see his leaving as "fishy" he has been serving on an extension since his term was up in October until they found a viable replacement.
    Given the timing, I think it's fishy. IMO, he's gone because he's a strong supporter of mentored hunting. He's at odds with those commissioners that are strongly opposed to youth taking deer and turkey. It's all politics played the PA way.

As for your assertion, my understanding is that he voted for reduced numbers of antlerless tags. None the less, there is never going to be a way to micromanage the deer in PA so every place has exactly the same concentration. We still have too many in some places. I want to see healthy deer, and that means seeing fewer deer. The bucks being taken in PA absolutely dwarf what was a trophy 25 years ago.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast