Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Hunting PA with a semi-auto???

I know you cant hunt in PA with a semi-auto, but could I use a 10-22 (semi)for squirrel if I dont carry a mag. PA regs say it must be manually operated. A10-22 without a mag is a manually operated single shot rifle. Any one else do this or is this way out of line? I would like to go for some squirrel and this is the only 22 I have. They allow Autoloading shotguns if it holds a maximum of 3 shells... it's still a semi????

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Hunting PA with a semi-auto???

Semi-auto rifles are not allowed regardless if you have magazine/ammo/whatever.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

I figured, I just got off phone with PGC regional office and I explained it and told them that it is a semi several times. They said "as long as it's manually operated, it's ok". What are the chances they had no clue what I was talking about??

(Allegheny County)

Pennsylvania Game Commission
    Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.
    Your Ruger 10/22 is still a semiautomatic firearm, even if you choose to remove the magazine and reload it manually.

The only exception that I'm aware of relates to people with disabilities who would otherwise find it difficult to operate a bolt action rifle.

Pennsylvania Game Commission: Hunters with Disabilities
    SEMIAUTOMATIC FIREARM FOR BIG GAME
    (No Permit Required)

Minimum Qualifications:
    Amputation or total loss of use of one or both hands.

Qualified Persons May: Use a semiautomatic shotgun, rifle, or pistol to take deer or bear. Firearms must be modified to one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in the magazine.

Qualified Persons May Not: Possess a loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the person additionally holds a disabled persons permit described in Section 2923, of the Game and Wildlife Code

VETERANS WITH DISABILITIES LICENSE FEE EXEMPTIONS
    for Regular Hunting and Furtaker Licenses only
    So if you want to hunt with your semiautomatic rifle, you'll need to chop off one of your arms.
    Last edited by eXceLon; November 21st, 2008 at 06:58 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by zr700 View Post
    I figured, I just got off phone with PGC regional office and I explained it and told them that it is a semi several times. They said "as long as it's manually operated, it's ok". What are the chances they had no clue what I was talking about??
    I'd say the chance is very high.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lehigh County)

They don't know anything about game management and that's supposed to be their business so I'm sure they know nothing about guns. JMO
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Good thing I used my .357 sp101 to shoot that rabid groundhog in my yard, then.

(Chester County)

Well slim, you go ahead and use it and when you get fined, dont' cry to us. The clown on the phone you spoke to was probably the cleaning lady or night watchman and they were yanking your stones. The man out in the field will most certainly have a differing opinion of your little maneuver and will cite your ass.

I don't care if you use one round or not, that action will still try to cycle another round even though it can't the way you have it setup. Thats still a semi-auto no matter how you slice it.

I simply love all these Can I still shoot it if I fill the magazine full of horseshit and put tie wraps on the charge handle and fire it prone while having the barrel shoved up my ass, etc. Give me a freakin break! Borrow one, save your paper route money and buy a bolt action, steal one, but for Christs's sake stop laying down this jive about "why can't I?". You can't, so face facts and join the crowd, or stay the hell home.

BTW - If I was the man out patrolling and came across Mr one shot 10/22, I'd be heating up my pencil writing him that ticket!
    Last edited by Poonie; November 22nd, 2008 at 01:10 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Well slim, you go ahead and use it and when you get fined, dont' cry to us. The clown on the phone you spoke to was probably the cleaning lady or night watchman and they were yanking your stones. The man out in the field will most certainly have a differing opinion of your little maneuver and will cite your ass.

I don't care if you use one round or not, that action will still try to cycle another round even though it can't the way you have it setup. Thats still a semi-auto no matter how you slice it.

I simply love all these Can I still shoot it if I fill the magazine full of horseshit and put tie wraps on the charge handle and fire it prone while having the barrel shoved up my ass, etc. Give me a freakin break! Borrow one, save your paper route money and buy a bolt action, steal one, but for Christs's sake stop laying down this jive about "why can't I?". You can't so face fact and join the cowd, or stay the hell home.

BTW - If I was the man out patrolling and came acros mr one shot 10/22, I'd be heating up my pencil wrtiting that ticket!

He asked a question and received an answer. It was a legitimate question. Cut him some slack, damn. There is no need to brow beat the shit out of someone new asking a question.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; November 22nd, 2008 at 01:15 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Give me a freakin break! Borrow one, save your paper route money and buy a bolt action, steal one, but for Christs's sake stop laying down this jive about "why can't I?". You can't, so face facts and join the crowd, or stay the hell home.

BTW - If I was the man out patrolling and came across Mr one shot 10/22, I'd be heating up my pencil writing him that ticket!
    Yes, by all means, please go steal a rifle rather than asking a question

And face facts and join the crowd, don't dare ask why. Please remember this next time a 1994 like ban is enacted, don't dare question it, just join the crowd and follow the rules.
    Useless laws weaken the necessary laws.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast