Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Can I conceal carry in PA as an Ohio resident with a license?

Quote Originally Posted by cntxpa View Post
    This is off-topic but I moved here from TX, a "must inform" state. Does an LEO know that we have an LTC when they run our information?

I was taught in TX LTC class that an LEO will always know if we have an LTC when they run our plates or DL, so it's always a good idea to mention it even if we are not carrying.
    Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I'm in PA and listen to the local county police on a scanner and when running an individual they are told when that person has a license to carry, at least for PA residents.

By the way, the most up date handgun law website I've seen is
    https://handgunlaw.us/ it has a plethora of info.
    That topic pops up here on occasion. What is recommended if the LEO asked specifically, 'Do you have a gun in the vehicle or on your person?'

I want them to ask if there are any illegal items or guns in the vehicle on on my person, to which I would respond, 'There is nothing illegal in the vehicle or on my person officer.'

Is Ohio still a duty to inform state?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Why would you mention it if you are not carrying?
    The idea is that the LEO knows 1. you have an LTC so you may be carrying and 2. if you indeed are, you have a duty to inform.

So, if you don't inform them, the LEO will want to know why, and there are three possibilities: 1. you are just not carrying. 2. you forget your duty to inform. 3. you intentionally hide it.

On the other hand, because they will know it anyway, you can just say "I have an LTC but I'm not carrying it now" to eliminate possibility 2. Because it's you who mentioned it upfront, they will likely also rule out possibility 3.

I can see it probably isn't a problem here, as there is no duty to inform in the first place, so the LEO won't expect you to mention it. I'm just curious if they know it without us mentioning it anyway.

(Berks County)

The idea is that the LEO knows 1. you have an LTC so you may be carrying and 2. if you indeed are, you have a duty to inform.

So, if you don't inform them, the LEO will want to know why, and there are three possibilities: 1. you are just not carrying. 2. you forget your duty to inform. 3. you intentionally hide it.

On the other hand, because they will know it anyway, you can just say "I have an LTC but I'm not carrying it now" to eliminate possibility 2. Because it's you who mentioned it upfront, they will likely also rule out possibility 3.

I can see it probably isn't a problem here, as there is no duty to inform in the first place, so the LEO won't expect you to mention it. I'm just curious if they know it without us mentioning it anyway.
    There is an outfit called US LawShield, who gives cheap seminars frequently. I would recommend you attend one or two and get brushed up on our laws here in PA. I believe that they are quite different than they are in TX.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    There is an outfit called US LawShield, who gives cheap seminars frequently. I would recommend you attend one or two and get brushed up on our laws here in PA. I believe that they are quite different than they are in TX.
    Thanks! I read the law as it is written and did notice quite a few differences, but there are always things (case laws, cultural norms, etc.) that are unwritten, so some interpretations will definitely be helpful.

(Jefferson County)

This is off-topic but I moved here from TX, a "must inform" state. Does an LEO know that we have an LTC when they run our information?

I was taught in TX LTC class that an LEO will always know if we have an LTC when they run our plates or DL, so it's always a good idea to mention it even if we are not carrying.
    PA's LTCF(or other states) info isn't tied to your drivers license or vehicle registration in PA. If dispatch or the LEO computer only pulls up you DL info, they will not get any info on whether you are a LTCF holder. However, dispatch and LEO's can do an additional search(different database) for LTCF status when doing the DL query.

On my scanner I've heard dispatch/911 center notify the officer both ways(licensed or not), and I've heard dispatch/911 center only give pertinent info only about the persons DL.

You aren't required to notify an LEO in Pennsylvania. That is a personal choice you should make. It has gone good and gone bad with either methodology for some people.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    What is recommended if the LEO asked specifically, 'Do you have a gun in the vehicle or on your person?'
    "I don't answer questions."

OR

"On the advice of my attorney, I don't answer questions."

*This would apply to ALL queries, not just gun/LTCF related ones.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

The answer is *nope*.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Erie County)

I have never mentioned it. I have never been asked about it. There is no duty to inform in PA.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    I have never mentioned it. I have never been asked about it. There is no duty to inform in PA.
    Agreed this is definitely a non-issue in PA.

I just wanted to explain why in a duty-to-inform state some believe it's a good idea to always mention the license even when not carrying. If somebody is going to drive to MI or NC, both duty-to-inform states, they might find this discussion informative.

Is Ohio still a duty to inform state?
    This question was asked earlier in the post and I didn't see a response for it.
    The answer is "No". There is no longer a requirement to inform law enforcement that you are carrying a firearm in Ohio.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12