Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: can a felon hunt with a black powder rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Don't know how legal it is but a guy I worked with in VA was a convicted felon. He got his wife to buy his guns and he rifle hunts every year. He's probably been doing it 10-15yrs without and issue. I think you could get away with it but probly not legal.
    If he is a convicted felon and not exempted/pardoned he is 100% in violation of the law. Can not "possess" a firearm means for hunting too.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Delaware County)

I understand that I could very easily get away with hunting with a firearm. The consiquences if I were to be caught doing so are without a doubt totally not worth what could occur as a result. I already put myself and my family through enough getting in trouble in the first place. To risk getting in trouble again is just stupid plain and simple. As I stated before "no deer is worth going to jail over".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom19073 View Post
    I understand that I could very easily get away with hunting with a firearm. The consiquences if I were to be caught doing so are without a doubt totally not worth what could occur as a result. I already put myself and my family through enough getting in trouble in the first place. To risk getting in trouble again is just stupid plain and simple. As I stated before "no deer is worth going to jail over".
    Well, you'd leave a big paper trail. If you get a hunting license, you tell Pennsylvania's government that you plan to hunt. They also have your criminal history record. Would be a few nanosecond's work to run those lists against each other, in case the local cops needed to beef up their arrest records. Hunting without a license will get the Game Commission after you, and the first thing they'd do is run your criminal record.

Look up the penalties for being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm. For a felon, it's worse than a misdemeanant, but it's bad for any prohibited person. You are making the right decision in not ignoring the law.

You'll probably need a Governor's pardon to get both state & federal relief, and you should use an experienced attorney to apply. They keep track of everyone who they deny, so you can't just make a fresh application if you screw up the first time. And you have to go to the entity that imposed the conviction, you can't get relief from a federal conviction except through the President, and a PA conviction can only be remedied by PA.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom19073 View Post
    ... contrary to what you seem to feel not all felons are scumbags
    I agree. That is why many say I have the best parties, half my friends are felons and the other half are Cops There are even a few who, at one time or another, have been both

Be safe (and throw great parties!!).

Scott

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Don't know how legal it is but a guy I worked with in VA was a convicted felon. He got his wife to buy his guns and he rifle hunts every year. He's probably been doing it 10-15yrs without and issue. I think you could get away with it but probly not legal.
    Wow. Bad idea. It's my understanding that prohibited person cannot have firearms in his or her home, regardless of who bought them. Guns aren't registered in this state, so the fact that his wife "bought" the guns from him won't mean anything if they're found in his home, assuming VA is the same.

GunLawyer or Pa. Patriot might come along and tell me I'm off base, but as far as I know, he's breaking the law just by having firearms in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Wow. Bad idea. It's my understanding that prohibited person cannot have firearms in his or her home, regardless of who bought them. Guns aren't registered in this state, so the fact that his wife "bought" the guns from him won't mean anything if they're found in his home, assuming VA is the same.

GunLawyer or Pa. Patriot might come along and tell me I'm off base, but as far as I know, he's breaking the law just by having firearms in the house.
    That's mostly correct, especially the facts of that scenario, where the gun owner sells to his previously-non-gun-owning wife. Nobody would believe that story, that she owns them and he doesn't have access. I wouldn't believe it, and I'm pro-gun.

However, there are plausible situations where a gun can be in the same home as a prohibited person. It may piss off the probation officer, it may not be the maximum distancing from guns that the LEO's would prefer, but if I have a son who became prohibited, and he resides with me, it's possible for me to keep my guns in a secure safe in the same home.

Obviously, I can't leave guns or ammo loose, in a nightstand, in a gun rack, where the kid can get them. But if he has no access to the guns, their mere existence in the building is not a violation of the law, any more than living in the same apartment building with families who own guns would be a violation. Possession or access is bad; no possession and no access, not illegal.

I totally agree with you guys. The guy I knew was a real asshole. I wouldn't risk going to jail over deer hunting. I would just bow hunt.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Of course, we know that any state misdemeanor punishable by more than 2 years is prohibiting under Federal law. It's possible that all Tennessee misdemeanors are capped at 2 years or less, I'm no Tennessee lawyer.
    Does a PA class 3 misdemeanor prohibit a person from possessng firearms? If so, how long?
    The Lord Bless You

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    Does a PA class 3 misdemeanor prohibit a person from possessng firearms? If so, how long?
    Not unless it is enumerated under the UFA's list of prohibited offenses. Or, if it has to do with domestic violence - you are prohibited forever(unless pardoned, expunged, etc).

If you are on probation for the M3, most if not all counties make it a requirement on the conditions of your probation that you be unarmed. That includes bow & arrows, swords, big knives, etc too..

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Not unless it is enumerated under the UFA's list of prohibited offenses. Or, if it has to do with domestic violence - you are prohibited forever(unless pardoned, expunged, etc).

If you are on probation for the M3, most if not all counties make it a requirement on the conditions of your probation that you be unarmed. That includes bow & arrows, swords, big knives, etc too..
    The guy I am referring to was involved with theft. No violence or PFAs were involved. He was placed on probation and told he could not possess firearms but now that he is off probation it sounds like he would be able to again.
    The Lord Bless You

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast