Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: can a felon hunt with a black powder rifle?

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

The first article lost me right here:

Once the person has been convicted then it may be unlawful to possess firearms depending on whether the crime is a felony or a misdemeanor. Generally it is permissible to possess weapons following a misdemeanor conviction except during the term of the sentence when firearm prohibitions are universally in effect as a condition of probation. Another exception is where the misdemeanor conviction is for domestic assault. Here, federal law imposes a permanent ban on firearms.

Of course, we know that any state misdemeanor punishable by more than 2 years is prohibiting under Federal law. It's possible that all Tennessee misdemeanors are capped at 2 years or less, I'm no Tennessee lawyer.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom19073 View Post
    I was convicted on a drug charge 7 years ago in Pa and received an unclassified felony convition. I have asked several gun shops and police officers and no one has been able to give me a solid answer whether it would be legal or not to hunt with a black power gun . There is no paper work or any backround check required to purchase a black powder gun. For this reason many gun shop owners have told me "if you can buy it you can use it". I would love to get a solid answer. There is no deer that is worth going to jail for. Thanks
    My answer, you served you sentence.

The declaration of independence says..."We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness...."

You're rights do not come from the government, they come from you're creator and you're afforded them at birth. Whether you are ready to defend these rights, by force if necessary, is the real question.....
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry

(Delaware County)

Is there a difference between a federal felony and one from the state? Are both considerd federal convictions? I was convicted in a pa county courthouse for unlawful delivery of a controlled substace and received a unclassified felony. I received 30 days in the county jail and 2 years probation. Does the fact that my conviction was a non violent offense and did not involve a weapon of any sort change anything? Im assuming it unfortunitly does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom19073 View Post
    Is there a difference between a federal felony and one from the state? Are both considerd federal convictions? I was convicted in a pa county courthouse for unlawful delivery of a controlled substace and received a unclassified felony. I received 30 days in the county jail and 2 years probation. Does the fact that my conviction was a non violent offense and did not involve a weapon of any sort change anything? Im assuming it unfortunitly does not.
    Your assumption is correct, any felony is prohibiting, any federal crime punishable by more than 1 year, and any state misdemeanor punishable by more than 2 years is prohibiting. There are some white collar crime exceptions, but none that apply to drug convictions.

(Delaware County)

Is there any other course of action to get my firearms rights back other than a governor pardon? I have heard of some states issuing a restoration of rights. I have also read about people applying for restoration of rights from others states such as florida which recipricate in pa. How many governor pardons are granted each year? What are the odds against me being granted cleminancy

(Dauphin County)

Soon we'll all be criminals. -Start an Airsoft collection

(Northampton County)

If you can mail order that blackpowder gun in your state then it must not be considered a firearm (in your state). It would seem that a blackpowder hunter is a lot like a bow hunter in the eyes of the law. There is no background check to get a hunting licencse. But I am not a lawyer.

I always ssuspected that this was part of popularity of blackpowder.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glockman View Post
    If you can mail order that blackpowder gun in your state then it must not be considered a firearm (in your state). It would seem that a blackpowder hunter is a lot like a bow hunter in the eyes of the law. .
    WRONG.

The answer has already been given, with citation to the actual Pa. law. Please READ it.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Don't know how legal it is but a guy I worked with in VA was a convicted felon. He got his wife to buy his guns and he rifle hunts every year. He's probably been doing it 10-15yrs without and issue. I think you could get away with it but probly not legal.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast