Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Close range (less than 50 yards) AR optics?

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    For the Scope check out a Meopta Meostar K Dot http://www.swfa.com/pc-9143-1134-meo...fle-scope.aspx

True 1x4 power. Gives you the ability to have a 1x red dot and a 4x scope in the same unit. This is a very very popular scope in the 3 Gun world.

If you want a secondary optic then use a Burris Fast Dot or Doctor mounted at the 45 degree angle.

And get a VTac Handguard.
    That Meopta is in the same size and price ballpark as the Leupold CQT....why get the Meopta over the CQT?

I recently got an Aimpoint and Larue LT-129 mount (thanks Tony) and I can say that I couldnt be anything more than pleased.

I keep the dot on all the time, 1k hours on highest power setting and 10k on lowest. I like it right in the middle so around 5k hours. I have the extra batt cap (so that's even more time) and the larue mount has a compartment for a battery too (tada even more time).

I've left the aimpoint on since I got it and it's been on since...

I haven't had a chance to zero it yet, but I REALLLLLLY like it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    That Meopta is in the same size and price ballpark as the Leupold CQT....why get the Meopta over the CQT?
    1. Varible Power(true 1x to 4x)
    2. Better Scope
    3. Better Glass
    4. Illuminated
    5. Bigger FOV
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Chester County)

1. Varible Power(true 1x to 4x)
    2. Better Scope
    3. Better Glass
    4. Illuminated
    5. Bigger FOV
    The CQT is 1-3....ok. And can be set at just about exactly 1x.
    Better glass? If you say so, I haven't seen the Meopta.
    Both are illuminated.
    Bigger FOV? I don't understand that...1x is both eyes open, as magnification increased, FOV decreases...that's just how it works. What am I missing here?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    The CQT is 1-3....ok. And can be set at just about exactly 1x.
    Better glass? If you say so, I haven't seen the Meopta.
    Both are illuminated.
    Bigger FOV? I don't understand that...1x is both eyes open, as magnification increased, FOV decreases...that's just how it works. What am I missing here?
    Th OP was asking for suggestions for the a scope to be used in matches.

1x4 is better than 1x3, when you have to go out to 300 meters. It ia a true 1x power, not 1.1 or 1.5 x 4. It makes a difference.

It is better glass, trust me. Look at one before making a judgement.

The Meopta has a better illumination system, the adjustment is on the side knob. In between each setting there is an off setting. It allows you to find the right setting for daylight and just click once to turn the scope on or off.
    The Meopta K dot reticle is better than a Circle Dot in the Leupold. It allows the shooter to adjust for distance,wind and elevation easier.

FOV is important for 3 Gun, the Meopta gives you an inceditable FOV without having to look around the scope. It allows you to transition to targets faster.

The scope is traditional scope body unlike the Leupold, which gives you more variety/options in mounting it on the rifle.

In 3 gun, people jump on new products and try them out. The Meopta has built a sold reputation for being a serious scope to use in competition. Check out the classified sections on Enos and other sites, they are full of scopes that were to be the new wonder optic(Burris, Millett, etc)

Leupolds scopes are great for Long range accuracy set ups.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Chester County)

Th OP was asking for suggestions for the a scope to be used in matches.

1x4 is better than 1x3, when you have to go out to 300 meters. It ia a true 1x power, not 1.1 or 1.5 x 4. It makes a difference.

It is better glass, trust me. Look at one before making a judgement.

The Meopta has a better illumination system, the adjustment is on the side knob. In between each setting there is an off setting. It allows you to find the right setting for daylight and just click once to turn the scope on or off.
    The Meopta K dot reticle is better than a Circle Dot in the Leupold. It allows the shooter to adjust for distance,wind and elevation easier.

FOV is important for 3 Gun, the Meopta gives you an inceditable FOV without having to look around the scope. It allows you to transition to targets faster.

The scope is traditional scope body unlike the Leupold, which gives you more variety/options in mounting it on the rifle.

In 3 gun, people jump on new products and try them out. The Meopta has built a sold reputation for being a serious scope to use in competition. Check out the classified sections on Enos and other sites, they are full of scopes that were to be the new wonder optic(Burris, Millett, etc)

Leupolds scopes are great for Long range accuracy set ups.
    Can you explain how the FOV with both eyes open on a 1x scope is any different from 1 to the other?

I had stated that I haven't played with the Meopta, hence my comment "if you say so. i haven't seen the meopta"

I'm personally not a fan of BDC and fancy reticles....never met anyone who used anything besides kentucky windage to make critical shots under stress....either on the clock, or while being shot at.

I agree that the added magnification can be great....no argument there. That said, I know more than a few guys who can hit at 500 yards, and even some who have hit at 1k yards with irons.....so, if one optic offers you everything else you require, but only goes 1x lower than the alternative, I don't get bent around the axle about it. Given the choice between 2 equal optics, and one offered more flexibility in maganification...then yea, I'd opt for it.

I'll have to take a look at that thing, if I ever get a chance to.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345