Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Washington Post: ATF Introduces Online Firearms Form To Ease Transactions

By Henri E. Cauvin
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, November 20, 2008; B03

Every year, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives finds thousands of licensed gun dealers in violation of federal law, often for very minor problems.

The agency, which conducts about 11,000 inspections a year, says it has come up with a way to eliminate many of those violations before they happen.

Instead of filling out the required ATF paperwork by hand, gun buyers and dealers will now be able to complete what officials say is a fail-safe electronic version of the document, known as Form 4473.

Speaking at a gun shop in Upper Marlboro where he announced the change, acting ATF Director Michael J. Sullivan said the new option would cut down on illegible answers and incomplete answers -- the most common causes of violations.

Such simple human errors account for about 60 percent of the violations cited annually by the ATF, and finding a way to reduce them has been a priority for the agency and the industry, Sullivan said.

Maryland has 554 licensed gun dealers and Virginia has 1,507, according to the ATF. There is one licensed gun dealer in the District, and at least one other business is applying for a license.

Officials emphasized that the use of the new software is voluntary and that the data entered on the form are not being used to create any sort of government database of gun ownership.

But Sullivan said he hopes that dealers and their customers will embrace the new electronic form, which dealers can download from the ATF's Web site at http://www.atf.gov/applications/e4473/.

"I think many people will see it as a very useful tool," Sullivan said.

Lawrence G. Keane, general counsel of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a trade association, applauded the ATF, saying the new form would reduce the number of innocent mistakes made in completing the transaction forms.

Carl William Roy II, owner of Maryland Small Arms Range, where the new form was unveiled yesterday by ATF, said he has been pushing officials for years to change the way the document can be completed.

When the ATF is conducting an inspection or the police are looking for information about a gun, handwritten records can he hard to decipher, especially years later, Roy said.

"It can be a mess," he said.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Washington Post: ATF Introduces Online Firearms Form To Ease Transactions

Just a sign that majority of things are becoming electronically based.

Too bad when someone perfects the EMF Bomb we'll lose every record we have.. lol

Default Re: Washington Post: ATF Introduces Online Firearms Form To Ease Transactions

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post

Officials emphasized that the use of the new software is voluntary and that the data entered on the form are not being used to create any sort of government database of gun ownership.
    Which of course means "that the data entered on the form are being used to create a government database of gun ownership"

(Berks County)

Well there being so subtle about it....
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Which of course means "that the data entered on the form are being used to create a government database of gun ownership"
    Depending on how it’s implemented… It’s possible that the ATF could use this the create the perfect database of gun transfers, or it could be as simple as filling out the form 4473 on a computer and then printing it with no electronic copies made.

But I don’t trust the government…

(Delaware County)

There is a subtle threat in the article. The mention that the FFL holders get caught in violation.

In other words, it may evolve to "use the electronic version, or we'll crawl so far up your butt...."

Ted

(Bucks County)

GOA sent out an alert a few months back about this new program. What is really disturbing is that this program was pirated from a small business that created it. They provided a copy to the ATF so that it could be approved and then distributed to FFLs. Instead the ATF copied their software and held them up so that they could offer their own version of this before the private business could, with a backdoor to create a gun-owners database I'm sure. Check out the GOA website, I'm sure there is still something on there about it.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry