Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Transfer of rifles and pistols from NJ to PA

My girlfriend may come into some inherited guns from a family member in NJ. What is the protocol to transfer them to her from NJ? She is above age 21.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Transfer of rifles and pistols from NJ to PA

Is she named in the will?

Will the executor of will name her as beneficiary?

Is she rightful heir without being named in will or as beneficiary? Can or will someone contest her taking them?

====

If she is one of the above, and legally allowed to possess a gun. She can take ownership of them and bring them back to PA. If someone can contest the taking, then I'd settle things before doing anything.

If she isn'd bequeathed the firearms via a will or through intestate succession, they'd have to be transferred through a FFL in her resident state.

If she is bequeathed the guns, she can come pick them up. Load them into locked gun cases(UNLOADED), put the cases into the trunk of vehicle, keep ammo in separate container, and drive straight home from the NJ location.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 19th, 2008 at 10:03 PM.

(Chester County)

What if she is not in the will, but her grandpa simply wants to give them to her? Must a will or other legal document be produced stating such intention?

(Centre County)

If the person who is giving the guns to her is not dead, they can do it via a FFL in PA. They can ship them or deliver them to the FFL and she can pick them up after going through the PICS.

Or the person who wants to give them to her can specifically state in the will that she gets x gun(s) with x serial number(s) and when the will is processed the executor will hand her the gun(s) and she locks them up and transports them to PA, no other paperwork is required.

Or I believe he could put them in a trust for her but I don't know how that works.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Is the PICS/transfer charge per gun? For instance, $10 for a transfer of 10 guns or $100 for 10 guns, $10 per gun?

(Centre County)

That would depend on the FFL. The fee PSP charges for PICS is one fee for the background check (doesn't matter how many guns) and one fee per gun IF it is a PA Sales Taxable transfer. That is, if you buy a gun from a FFL he has to charge you sales tax, if you buy a gun on the internet and get it transferred by a FFL you are not charged PA sales tax unless the FFL has been charged sales tax. That does not mean you are tax free, actually if you buy a gun over the internet and get it transferred at a FFL you are supposed to pay the PA Use Tax (which happens to be 6%).

Short answer (typical charges):
    1 fee for the background check (good for multiple guns if bought/transferred the same day).

1 fee per gun if you have to pay PA sales tax on the gun.

The FFL transfer fee, what ever they want to charge. Me personally, $20 for first gun, $10 each thereafter (if everything is done that day). From those charges I have to pay the PICS fee and any additional state fees. And depending on the customer I might give them a break if they have been a good steady customer and I know they will be back.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    That would depend on the FFL. The fee PSP charges for PICS is one fee for the background check (doesn't matter how many guns) and one fee per gun IF it is a PA Sales Taxable transfer. That is, if you buy a gun from a FFL he has to charge you sales tax, if you buy a gun on the internet and get it transferred by a FFL you are not charged PA sales tax unless the FFL has been charged sales tax. That does not mean you are tax free, actually if you buy a gun over the internet and get it transferred at a FFL you are supposed to pay the PA Use Tax (which happens to be 6%).

Short answer (typical charges):
    1 fee for the background check (good for multiple guns if bought/transferred the same day).

1 fee per gun if you have to pay PA sales tax on the gun.

The FFL transfer fee, what ever they want to charge. Me personally, $20 for first gun, $10 each thereafter (if everything is done that day). From those charges I have to pay the PICS fee and any additional state fees. And depending on the customer I might give them a break if they have been a good steady customer and I know they will be back.
    Questions answered, thanks.