Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clinton County)

Default Cold weather hunting

Being over the hill I freeze and was thinking of wearing 1 or 2 of those chemical heating pads used for back ache under my shirt. If you have ever tried it does it work. They are supposed to supply heat for up to 8 hours.

Sitting still on a deer stand is one of the coldest things I know of.

Default Re: Cold weather hunting

Sounds like that might work!

(Wayne County)

Best thing I ever bought was Boot Blankets. Open a couple of heat packs, hand warmers put them inside and I feel like I`m in Florida all day. If my feet are warm I can sit all day.

Qtrborecrazy

(Cumberland County)

buy some underarmer or some mil spec polypropylene.they are the 2 warmest things i know of.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Cold weather hunting

I agree about the foot warmth thing. Once my feet get a chill, It's not long before I'm dancin to get warm.

However, I do have legitimate back issues, and wore one of those chemical wamers last year on my lower back. It did keep me warm, somewhat. I felt the heat but still got chilled. Was a wierd feeling. You can't contol how much heat they throw out and aren't meant to keep you warm. They produce ALOT of heat so that it penetrates deep and thus makes you sweat, a bad thing when you're trying to stay warm.

Layers and a warm pair of loose fitting boots works the best so far.

(Erie County)

I use them each year. When it is in the low teens and I want stay on stand alot I'll use several of them, boots, gloves, one or two of adhesive large one stuck to my chest and lower back.

Dressing in layers is the key though. Second best tip, absolutely nothing on that is cotton. Last thing you need is anything that holds sweat and then chills.

Synthetic fleece is my friend. Insulating value near to wool without the weight or itch.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

(Chester County)

Yep I too thought about using those therma care packs to keep warm. Nothing wrong with tossing one of those things in the pack.

You may laugh at me for this one, but I take a little backpacker's stove when I plan to sit all day. Usually about 9:30 or ten in the morning I will heat up some water( I have one of those stainless steel surplus army cups) and make a hot drink like tea or hot chocolate. Then at lunchtime I use it to heat water for one of those freeze dried backpacker's meals. May sound silly but I'll tell you what, nothing beats warming up in the cold like a hot meal. The little stove I have takes up almost no room in my pack, and uses those little cans of butane which also takes up little space and weigh next to nothing. The deer may smell the butane or not, I don't know but, I don't worry about it. The few minutes I do this during a hunt are usually during the slow times when deer tend to be bedded down anyway.
    Last edited by Poonie; November 21st, 2008 at 08:10 AM.