Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Angry Issue with obtaning LTC in Philadelphia

Hello all,

I have come into one issue while trying to obtain my license in philadelphia. Bascially i dont know anyone in Philadelphia county to have fill out the reference sheet that Philadelphia requires. All my friends and close co workers all live outside of Philadelphia. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Issue with obtaning LTC in Philadelphia

I just got my LTCF in PA (Doylestown Sheriff's Dept), and the references don't have to be in the county,nor do they even have to be in the state. I was told no relatives, no spouse, no one you live with. Other than that, it was ok to use out of state references.

(Philadelphia County)

I reside in Philadelphia county. Do you know if you have to reside in the county you apply in? If not I will apply where you got yours from.

(Bucks County)

I don't know... others "more in the know" may want to chime in here.
    Was it written on the form or did the examiner tell you the references had to be within the county?

(Philadelphia County)

"It was written on the form. Below are the exact words..
    You must have the Reference Questionnaires (2) filled-out by References and returned with your application. References should be Philadelphia residents and not family members.

References must include NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBERS and PA DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER at the top of form. Failure to do so will result in processing delays and application denial"

One thing that stood out to me was that it said they should be Philadelphia, not that it is required. I was thinking i should just go down there and try my luck.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by nextgenjewelz View Post
    I reside in Philadelphia county. Do you know if you have to reside in the county you apply in? If not I will apply where you got yours from.
    You must apply in the county in which you reside.

The references should be another matter. It's ridiculous to restrict references to a particular county.

(Philadelphia County)

I got my Philly LTC a couple years ago. Only one of my references lived in Philly. I asked - the police did not care as long as they were PA. In my case, neither reference was actually called.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by inrem View Post
    I got my Philly LTC a couple years ago. Only one of my references lived in Philly. I asked - the police did not care as long as they were PA. In my case, neither reference was actually called.
    I think im going to go down there tommorow and try my luck with the references i already have. I will let all of you know what the outcome is.

I appreciate each of you helping me.

(Montgomery County)

Philadelphia always tries to make the process as hard as possible to try to discourage people from exercising their rights. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that state law is as strongly worded as it is Philly would refuse to issue LTCF.

In this case you have to notice the exact operational language that was deliberatively used by the gun unit. The city was very wise in selecting its exact wording. Notice how is says "(r)eferences SHOULD..." instead of "(r)eferences MUST..." By using "should" instead of something more absolute Philly would argue it is only a recommendation instead of a requirement. State law only requires two references from Pennsylvania, but some jurisdictions want more local references so they insert the "should" clause into the application.

The application is mandated by law to be uniform across the commonwealth. If you don't want to use the Philly specific application, find one online from another county and just use it. There is nothing that the issuing authority can do as long as you use the one page application issued by the PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by nextgenjewelz View Post
    "It was written on the form. Below are the exact words..
    You must have the Reference Questionnaires (2) filled-out by References and returned with your application. References should be Philadelphia residents and not family members.

References must include NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBERS and PA DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER at the top of form. Failure to do so will result in processing delays and application denial"

One thing that stood out to me was that it said they should be Philadelphia, not that it is required. I was thinking i should just go down there and try my luck.

Quote Originally Posted by archon View Post
    State law only requires two references from Pennsylvania, but some jurisdictions want more local references so they insert the "should" clause into the application.
    Actually on the LTCF application, it makes no mention of residency requirements for references...it just says they cannot be family members...which is a little vague in itself.

How far down the line do you go...cousins, 2nd cousins, great aunts, step parents, step siblings????
    Last edited by HiredGoon; November 23rd, 2008 at 06:29 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast